Wednesday, March 20, 2013

From Zero to Sixty in Record Time!

Well, I must say it's been a fast 60 years.
That's a lot of birthday cakes, my friends!
Here is one of the most unusual ever, courtesy
of Amanda, Brianna, and Hunter.  Judy had
earlier made me a caramel cake that we shared
with the family last Sunday.

Actually, I'm getting ahead of myself.  Before 
we could dig in, Hunter helped me extinguish
the six candles.  Thanks, big guy!  Look at
those cheeks-- he's a pro!

Here's my "Happy Birthday" video.


Hunter gives it his approval.

So does Bri.  And she asked for seconds!

It's finger-lickin' good.

I also got to see Claire and Evan on my 
birthday, but unfortunately, I had left my
camera at home.  When we joined them
and other celebrants at The Thai Orchid,
they presented me with these very touching
notes, dictated to Mom-- Jennifer.
Just before dinner they had sent me the 
cutest video version of Happy Birthday to
You.  Plus Evan's heart-melting "I love you,
Grandpa."  I have watched that video on my
Facebook page numerous times already and
you can find it there if you like.
Evan's Note

Claire's Note

Some of my birthday cards really quacked
me up.  Gail assured me these ducks are
singing.  I'll take her word for it.

This one from Joy and Jamie made its point clear.
At least if I'm ON my rocker, I can't be OFF my rocker.
Or can I?



I'm thankful for every one of my sixty birthdays.
By the time you get to your sixtieth, you are more
aware of your mortality, and the certainty of being
more than half-way through life makes each birthday
more precious.  I'm shooting for 100, but there are
no guarantees, so I'll continue to try to make the 
most of each day.  I do that by cherishing my 
family and friends and by seeking to follow 
the Lord's will for me.

Thank you to the countless friends who gave 
me birthday greetings in any form or fashion.  
It included relatives, former students and their 
parents, former colleagues, church family,
Camp Cherokee pals, and others I've 
met along the path.

In closing, I have a very old photo to share.
This year wasn't the first time my cake had
six candles on it.  This is from my sixth birthday,
in 1959.

Left to right: Doug Burns, Lance Mashburn (seated),
my brother Buddy (Ellis, standing), me, cousin Terry
Loyd, and sister Caryn Loyd (Cole)-- 10 months old.
Well, as I said, it was a great birthday.  No time to rest on my laurels.  I don't have a bucket list, but I have plenty of interests and activities to fill my remaining time, whether it be long or short.  There are places to go, books to read, and friends and family to love!




No comments: