Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Grandpa Babysits Solo

Last week I had a wonderful afternoon
with Bri and Hunter all by myself.  They 
took good care of me.  Nobody got hurt!

Bri proudly displays a "train" of animal puzzles she put
 together.  She has assembled her "friends" for the photo.

The age-old favorite of cardboard boxes were a
favorite this afternoon.

In this video Hunter is a Jack-in-the-Box.
Bri is hiding.  But she'll come out.

This video has already appeared on Facebook.
Bri and Hunter are robots.  I asked them if
they'd like to walk around with boxes over them.
They readily agreed.  I soon realized that they
were just as safe lumbering around the house
"blind" as they would have been racing with
wild abandon on wheels or feet.  The boxes
offer some protection in the inevitable collisions.

Because it was Memorial Day weekend, my
monkey Chipper was dressed up in his military
garb.  The kids wanted in on that action, and
they seem to know the part.
G-r-r-r-r!

We're rough, tough, and all that stuff.

LET'S ROLL!!!!!

Break time! Our boys and girls in uniform are still
entitled to the pursuit of happiness.  Bare feet and
watermelon are part of that promise.
The next day I landed this airplane transformer
at our local Bargain Box thrift store.  It would 
become one of Hunter's favorite toys this past week.

I'm thankful to say it did NOT have the rockets.  And
Hunter didn't need them anyway.  He wiped out all our
toy dinosaurs with outstanding sound effects.
Even as we played on the porch, we were
sensitive to the nearby wren's nest.

We expect four baby wrens within a week or so.

 I'll close with three shots from the yard.
This is the healthiest specimen of Fire Pink
ever seen on our property.  I think ashes from
the adjacent chiminea had a positive effect.
Fire Pink will be blooming all over our yard
during the month of June.  It's a little thing
God worked out for me and Judy.

Another wonderful plant abundant on our
property is wild sweet peas.  They come in
an assortment of white, pink, and varying
shades of purple (genetic experiment, anyone?).
For a couple of years our sweet peas were
hindered by aphids.  I chose to battle them
organically.  I read that simply knocking the
aphids off with a strong spray of water might
discourage them.  That kept the population down,
and this year a couple of torrential rains may have
helped.  Anyway, they're in full bloom, and no 
sign of aphids!

Again I say, the best things in life are free!


No comments: