Monday, May 26, 2014

Eno River calls us back


One year ago, Judy and I made our first visit
to the Eno River State Park, near Durham.  We 
went by a route that led through our beloved
Chapel Hill, then some lightly-traveled back roads
of Orange County.  The drive was quite pleasant.

When we parked and entered our first trail it took
a while to get our bearings.  It turned out we were
on a trail we had traveled last year, but we accessed
it about a half mile earlier (further down-river), and
got to see a lot of new sights.  Here are a few.

The single leaf of a cranefly orchid, a
plant also found on the SFL Nature Trail.

My favorite new sight was this swinging
bridge, the only one on the river.  Judy was
far braver than I was.  

The cables don't seem to be enough of a safety
barrier for me.  The sensation of not having anything
around me bothers me more than either the height
or the motion of the bridge.

I did cross the bridge twice.  Because I had no choice.

A view of the swinging bridge from upriver.

Fews Ford was the first familiar landmark we
recognized from a year ago.  The good thing about
a river is that you can follow it either way and
know which way you're going.  Trails away from
the river require a little more attention to detail.

Spring rains had brought forth much lush growth
along the riverside.

Another result of the rain was a scattering of all
kinds of logs and debris, as the river had overflowed
its banks just the week before.

This notable rock outcropping was adorned by
Mountain Laurel in full bloom.  The river was
also flowing much more briskly than a year ago.
These two factors gave us the feeling of being
along a mountain stream rather than a drowsy
piedmont waterway.  That was a very pleasant
surprise.

The Mountain Laurel.
Check out this video of the rapids.
I think you'll find it scenic and calming.

We did see some canoers, who doubtless were glad
for the challenge of "raging rapids."
 Here are three more lovely plants we spotted.
This is Smooth Solomon's Seal, found on the
"old" portion of the SFL Nature Trail, and possibly
on the part recently improved.  I'll be looking for it.

I think this is Evening Primrose, though I've only
seen it a few times, and that was years ago.

Regular readers of my blog may recall that this
Fire Pink is one of my and Judy's favorite wildflowers.
We are blessed to have an abundance of it on our
property, though it hasn't yet bloomed.
Can you blame me for saying that the next
time the Eno River calls, we'll once again
be quick to pack up and hit the trail?

No comments: