Friday, February 13, 2015

Another Mystery

Back in 2011, when the grandkids were not
quite ready for hikes and gypsy walks, I began
to prepare a future play spot five acres back on
our property, where an untainted stream, fed by
underground springs, flourished and never ran dry.
(Note: This picture predates the bridge I later added.)



This pool, more than two feet deep, is at our
favorite waterfall, just as we cross a little foot bridge
to our island paradise (small though it may be).

At some point during the clearing process
I made an interesting find.  While clearing 
branches and debris from the stream, I dredged
up an odd specimen of wood.

It is remarkable in several regards.  First of all,
there is evidence that it had been burned in the
distant past, only to find a resting place in this
deep pool, where it had rested undisturbed for
who knows how long.

When we moved here in 1978 we were
told there had been at least one historical
fire in these woods, but I am uncertain when
it would have been.  As years go by, evidence
of forest fires diminishes.  But being submerged
seems to have preserved the scars on this piece
of wood.  

Note the graceful spiraling striations
that mark the wood.  Whether it grew
like that or whether decades of whipping
by the streams waters made the marks, I
cannot discern.

The wood is heavy and solid, exhibiting
no sign of rot.  Whether it washed downstream
or was tossed in long ago by a strolling 
woodsman, I cannot tell.

Until I cleared the area in recent years,
there is little likelihood of human intrusion
in that secluded area for a long, long time.
Though Jennifer and Amanda made occasional
excursions to the stream in their childhood, we
never established much of a play space.  We could
always hear the waterfalls, even when we didn't
want to fight through the brush to see them.

Here's evidence that the black is indeed
charred wood, not just discoloration.

My imagination begs to know who
else has handled this "ancient" artifact,
and under what circumstances.  I'm glad
it has come into my hands, where of
course it will receive the homage it's due.
I will appreciate any theories my readers
may wish to share.

As I've learned before, especially in writing
"Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace," mysteries
don't always have to be solved to be mesmerizing.

No comments: