Monday, September 28, 2015

Out and About in Historic Wytheville and Wythe County, Virginia

I hope you've read my previous blog
about the illustrious Trinkle Mansion.
If not, that's where you need to begin.
For everyone else, let's proceed with a
brief snapshot tour of the Wytheville area.

Our first evening in town we took a short
pre-dinner stroll through Main Street.
This connecting alley caught my attention.

And so did this chicory, one of my favorite
plants. I've tried growing it from seeds, but
success has eluded me.  Maybe someday.

I think the Wytheville Office Supply got their
idea from the Louisville Slugger bat company.
But it's cool, if not original.


We didn't have enough meals on our trip to
sample the Skeeter-Dog.  But lots of folks have.

We ate our first dinner at the Log Cabin 1776
and were well-pleased with our meal.

We thought we'd have to wait a long time,
but it wasn't so long.  In fact, though the main
seating area was upstairs, we were ushered into
an almost empty downstairs room.

Judy got the pork tenderloin with fabulous
side dishes.

As a Civil War buff, I couldn't resist the 
Confederate Stew, which was served to
General Robert E. Lee and his troops.
I wondered why they didn't make 13 scoops
of potatoes instead of 10.

The Log Cabin also has crowded gardens
and a rambling gift and craft shop.


I admire the work of metal craftsmen.

I'm sure these bunnies are fed from the
garden surplus.

Click to enlarge, and read more about
Edith Bolling Wilson, Woodrow Wilson's
first lady, and a native of Wytheville.

This new boutique hotel is also named in
Mrs. Wilson's honor and memory.

Somehow I failed to photograph our meal
at Graze on Main, the restaurant inside the hotel,
but I promise you, it was scrumptious.

Each floor of the hotel had a theme connected
to Mrs. Wilson's life and interests.  Such as 
these canaries.

I was interested in this vintage piano, but
alas, "Do Not Touch."

The second day of our trip was all about our
bike ride along the New River Trail, and it will
be fully documented in two posts that will follow
very soon.  But for now, let's fast forward to the
morning of our departure. 
No doubt, many of my readers have followed 
I-77 north through the two great tunnels in 
Virginia and West Virginia.  For decades before
the construction of the interstate, the only route
over the mountains was U.S. Highway 52.
The road is little traveled now, but the same
peaceful view is still there, from the crest
of Big Walker Mountain.

And the eclectic gift shop that has operated
there since 1947 is still there.  It hearkens
back to the type of thing tourists expected
back in the 50's.  And their gift shop truly
was superior to most we had seen.

For six dollars, adults can still climb this
old fire tower, 100 feet tall.  While I could
easily claim I didn't climb it because of my
recent knee replacements, the simple truth
is I was chicken.  And though I may go back
there, I will never climb that tower.

You'll note that the elevation is less than
half that of North Carolina's highest peaks.
Nevertheless, the view was outstanding.
Everything is relative, and Virginia's medium
height ridges have their own charm.

You don't have to pay a thing to enjoy a
mighty fine view nearer to ground level.

Here's an early-changing maple.

Priceless.



Never.  I repeat, never.

I joked with the proprietor about
maybe paying him one dollar for
every 20 feet I would climb.  But 
I'm not sure I would have made it 
20 feet.  Especially after a man who
had just come down said he could
feel the tower swaying and it was
quite windy at the top.

So after admiring the tower, we spent most
of our time (and a chunk of our money) indoors.

I fell in love with Big Walker Lookout.

It's fun to browse through the memorabilia
at old tourist spots like this.

The crest of the mountain defines the
county line.  Here's a bit of Wythe County history.

Like most of Virginia, this area is replete
with Civil War tales.

Homeward bound, we bid farewell to 
Big Walker Lookout.  But on a future trip,
we will hike a nearby trail to Monster Rock.
A good rule of thumb: always leave something
to come back for.

And I'm sure we'll be back to Wytheville and
to the Trinkle Mansion.  But not to climb the tower!
Check back soon for an in-depth tour of the
New River Trail, from Draper to Allisonia.

No comments: