Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Great Minds of Baseball?

What's all the cheering about?


It's World Series time again, and it's an event
even non-baseball fans embrace.  In my spirit
of eclecticism, I thought I would celebrate by
featuring three of the great minds of baseball:
Jay Hanna "Dizzy" Dean (or Jerome?)
Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra and
Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel.

Few people would know these iconic characters
by anything other than Dizzy, Yogi, or Casey.

I've assembled some of their most famous quotes,
some related to baseball, and others to life in general.
I'll leave it to you to determine which of these may
have been "The Greatest Mind of Baseball."
Regardless of who claims that title, they have
enriched an already colorful game with their 
memorable thoughts, however strange.




“Son, what kind of pitch would you like to miss?”  Dizzy Dean
“Let the teachers teach English and I will teach baseball. There is a lot of people in the United States who say ‘isn’t’ and they ain’t eating.”  Dizzy Dean
“He slud into third.” Dizzy Dean
“Don’t fail to miss tomorrow’s game.” Dizzy Dean (as an announcer)
“The doctors x-rayed my head and found nothing.” Dizzy Dean
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” Dizzy Dean



“It ain’t over till it’s over.”  Yogi Berra
“It’s like déjà vu all over again.” Yogi Berra
“Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.” Yogi Berra
“You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.” Yogi Berra
“Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.” Yogi Berra
“You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.” Yogi Berra
“Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.” Yogi Berra
“I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.” Yogi Berra



“The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven't made up their minds.” Casey Stengel
“All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.” Casey Stengel
“The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven't made up their minds.” Casey Stengel
“See that fella over there? He's 20 years old. In 10 years, he's got a chance to be a star. Now that fella over there, he's 20 years old, too. In 10 years he's got a chance to be 30.” Casey Stengel
“They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again.” Casey Stengel
“Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.” Casey Stengel
“Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in.” Casey Stengel

“Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.” Casey Stengel
“They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don’t win many ball games.” Casey Stengel


No comments: