Thursday, January 10, 2019

Holiday Happenings 2018 Part 2: Christmas in Atlanta

Judy and I both come from families where large
gatherings are automatic at Christmas. I remember
going to Mama Loyd's every Christmas Eve of my
life until I moved from Atlanta after college.

As Buddy, Caryn, and I grew up, friends became a
regular part of Christmas get-togethers, often including
a game of RISK or musical revues. 

Whenever possible, we prevail upon a friend to snap
a memory shot of our full family.  Sometimes that wasn't
possible.  In this one from 1998, one important person is
missing.  Judy!  She volunteered to take the picture.
In it are my Mama and Daddy, my sister Caryn, her 
husband Steve, their two daughters Brantley and Lindsey,
my brother Buddy (Ellis), me, and our daughters Jennifer
and Amanda. I won't attempt to tell you which is which.
Either you know them or you don't.

Mama lived another ten wonderful years after that,
passing away the day after Valentine's Day in 2009. 
She parted with us just two months before Brianna,
our first grandchild, was born.  I like to think that they
waved at each other coming and going to and from 
heaven (it's not THAT sacrilegious).  In short order
Claire arrived, and less than two years later came
Hunter and Evan. Daddy was able to see and hold all
four of them before his passing in 2012.

Below: Christmas 2009, Grandpa Loyd meets
Claire and Brianna.  Notice Mama's photo on the
piano, a reminder that she was with us, too.

I wonder what Claire and Grandpa Loyd were talking about.

Christmas 2011.  Hunter and Evan have joined us now.


Grandpa Loyd with his four (first four) grandchildren
and their parents.


 Christmas 2012, Daddy's last Christmas.
My, how the kids have grown!



Here it is Christmas 2018, 20 years after that first photo.
Mama and Daddy are with us in spirit only, but I can
only imagine their joy at how the family has grown.
This is 5 year-old Ryan's first Christmas in Atlanta,
and as for baby Bennett, has just turned five MONTHS
old since this picture was taken. Our number is 19.
And the third grade teacher in me says, 
"And that's a PRIME number!"

 For readers who may not know all of us by sight,
here are Amanda, Stephen, Ken, Judy, Bri, and Hunter.


Here are Jennifer, Judy, Ken, Matt, Ryan, Claire, and Evan.

At Christmas and always, Judy and I count our blessings.
2019 is sure to be overflowing with them once again.

No comments: