Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Aberdeen Lake

 If you live in the Sandhills you've probably noticed an increase in walking and hiking opportunities in our area in recent years. I've blogged about the lesser-known Bear Creek Trail, and the many greenway trails are well known. But don't overlook the nice trail at Aberdeen Lake, which is scenic, tranquil, and easily accessible for many of you. Here's what Judy and I saw on our recent hike there.

Begin your walk at the bridge over the dam. You can walk in either direction if you plan to do the entire loop, which is about 1.5 miles. You can shorten the walk if you wish. I won't attempt to identify the numerous wildflowers we saw in bloom, but that was one of the highlights. 











Old King Turtle had a prime perch, but he wasn't the only turtle sunning.

This bridge that spans the lake is a prime fishing spot, but I love it just for the views.

I'm finally getting good at using my camera's self-timer.






The color on the plant below is, surprisingly, on the leaves.
The flowers have not yet bloomed! Any ideas?

I call this tree "Old Man of the Lake."

Near the end of our walk, we were treated to some ducks swimming nearby.
I just checked and learned that such a group is called a "raft" of ducks.
Sit back, relax, and watch.




Judy has convinced me that all trees like this are troll houses.

We didn't stop at the gazebo, but that's another nice touch.

I wonder if our grandkids could scale this venerable old tree.

Back to where we started-- the dam.



This sign had confused us a bit, but there's only one trail.
This refers to its different sections.

These are the interesting concrete blocks that cover the bridge.

Judy and I easily met the weight requirements for the bridge.
We had a light breakfast.

Below the bridge, the waters of Aberdeen Lake flow on
until they join up with either the Little River or the Lumber River.
I need to investigate that.

This will definitely be a hike we enjoy again, and I highly recommend it.


No comments: