Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fifties Fiction Anyone?

A few weeks ago, Judy and I visited the resale shops of the Sandhills Coalition for Human Care. This is a fine charity and their shops have great prices. On this day hardback books were a quarter, paperbacks a dime. On a whim, I selected this Frank Yerby book, The Treasure of Pleasant Valley. I have a strong interest in historical fiction, though I had a pre-conceived notion of 1950's fiction, and it wasn't very flattering. But for a quarter, I took a chance on this one because its setting was the California goldrush of 1849.

I read the book in just a few days, and although I wouldn't call it great literature, Yerby was a skillful storyteller, and obviously researched his topics meticulously. I was interested enough to check out this website where I learned some fascinating things. For one, Frank Yerby is recognized as America's greatest African-American author. He wrote 33 novels, selling tens of millions of copies, on subjects spanning from early Greece, the French revolution, and the American Civil War to the World War II underground resistance and 1970's Central American conflict.

Yerby preferred the term "costume novel" to "historical novel," and thought the latter term was like the "kiss of death" as far as marketing a book was concerned. He said the purpose of fiction must be to entertain, not to educate or instruct. And yet he masterfully found a way to do both. His readers can't help but come away with a broader understanding of the period in which immerses them. No surprise that he's called "a brilliant storyteller and intellectual giant."

A few days after I had finished The Treasure of Pleasant Valley, Judy and I dropped by a book sale at the Lutheran church. Prices had already been cut in half, and lo and behold-- Judy called out, "Here's a Frank Yerby book... and another... and another." In short, she pulled out nine paperbacks, and for a quarter each "we"couldn't resist. Judy permitted me to photograph the books, but she has now tucked them safely away for one of my Christmas presents. She did allow me to keep one out to read before Christmas.
Finding a new author to enjoy is always satisfying, and it also made me wonder about some of the old "non-classic" books I've never taken a second glance at. Might I have been overlooking some worthwhile reading material?


This quote by Anthony Trollope was on the back jacket of my first Yerby book. It expresses my feelings precisely.
Book love, my friends, is your pass to the greatest, the purest, and the most perfect pleasure that God has prepared for His creatures. It lasts when all other pleasures fade. It will support you when all other recreations are gone. It will last you until your death. It will make your hours pleasant to you as long as you live.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May I borrow your quote for the library's facebook page? It is so true.

Jennifer Kirby said...

I love that quote too!