Monday, June 14, 2010

Atlanta Interlude

Hot on the heels of our visit to Louisville, Judy and I were right back on the road by the middle of last week. We had a wonderful visit in Atlanta with Daddy, Buddy, Caryn, Brantley, and Lindsey. To follow our eclectic cuisine on the Kentucky trip, this time we dined at Cafe Bombay, The Blue Ribbon Grill, IHOP, and The Varsity. Wow, it doesn't get any better than this! Judy is studying up on Indian cuisine now and some new recipes are in our future. There are lots of things we haven't yet tried at Cafe Bombay, but Buddy promises that dining there will be a new tradition for us. Can't wait!

Daddy was doing very well during our visit and continues to improve. I read a little of a Dizzy Dean biography to him and we both had a few laughs. Daddy knew a little bit about playing baseball barefoot, wrapping an old ball with electrical tape, and playing four-man ballgames in a cow pasture (I bet he learned to wear shoes quickly).

We enjoyed mealtime with Daddy each day, and he had a mammoth appetite. After dinner each night I provided keyboard entertainment upstairs in a social area. I played some requests and chose other standards from my own lists, which range from the 1890's to the 1970's. Not many from recent decades, but that's not what this audience was after anyway. Their favorites were Big Band era hits and World War II sentimental favorites "Till We Meet Again" and "Let the Rest of the World Go By." I had added several new songs to my repertoire since my last visit and intend to learn more oldies before my next visit.

A more appreciative group of listeners I've never had. They nodded with approval on Glenn Miller hits "In the Mood" and "Chattanooga Choo-Choo." Tears sometimes glistened on numbers like "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." Our new and dear friends John and Mary, ages 91 and 85, danced to "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" and other selections.

Brantley and Lindsey were an instant hit with an updated version of "Amazing Grace" and another of their trademark duets. Honestly these two young ladies have virtually identical voices, but it's the way they blend them that is unique. The residents showered them with applause during the performance and sought them out afterward to offer more accolades. Their singing is something we look forward to at all our Christmas get-togethers and any other time our family gathers.

I was thrilled to have Daddy singing along on a couple of his favorites. I'm happy that he's happy, that he gets to spend many hours a day with Buddy at his side, and that he's in a pleasant home with friendly neighbors. I'll look forward to the next visit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marvin looks great!