Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Staples Teacher Rewards: That was easy!

I'm a big believer in Staples Teacher Rewards. When you save your reward points until great sales come along, you can really rack up savings. My biggest success has been when I printed dozens of copies of my book (Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace), then got 40% back in rewards. That has kept me well-stocked on items like storage tubs, binders (for my books), and even a heavy duty folding table.

But as the ladies in my family will attest, you don't have to save big bucks to get a very satisfying feeling. If you get something you really want or have been looking all over for, at a bargain basement price, even a small purchase gives you "shopper's high."

For me, the latest episode came about from a $6.00 coupon from recycling two ink cartridges.
I was a little surprised how far my six dollars went. This is how it went down.
  • My most expensive item was a $7.99 notebook marked down to $3.00. This is for keeping some of my sheet music I carry to rest homes and the hospital.
  • 3 containers of Fruit and Berry Trail Mix and 2 containers of Yogurt Trail Mix. The regular price was $5.99 each. But I found them on the "marked-down" shelf. So they were marked $2.99. But I knew from previous experience that they might be reduced even further. After confirming this at the front register, I got ALL FIVE at fifty cents apiece! At that price, I would have bought them even if they they had a little pinestraw or twigs mixed in. Hey, I've eaten REAL trail mix at Camp Cherokee!
  • This left me with another fifty cents to dispose of (there were no more trail mixes). Spiral notebooks were 15 cents (I know, they were a mere penny last week, but the limit was 2), so I got three. The nice cashier told me I had to use the entire $6.00. So, not being able to find anything for a nickel, I got another notebook and had to ante-up ten cents.

Spending the dime didn't dampen my euphoria. I immediately came home, bragged to Judy (Coupon Queen emeritus), and took a picture of my booty. At regular price I got $38.54 worth of merchandise for a dime. And that's counting the notebooks at 15 cents, which I know is not their regular price, but they were not marked.

Hey, come to think of it, it's about time I broke into some of that trail mix! See ya later.

No comments: