Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To the Educators in My Life

Today is the first day of school, and I'm not there. But for 49 of my 57 years I was, so I don't feel a bit guilty. Still, I am 150% supportive of those who continue daily in the trenches, many of whom are personal friends. I believe they are doing the most important work in our society, surpassing that of the politicians, lawmakers, athletes, financial wizards, cooks. . . well, maybe not COOKS!

A school, much like a church, is just a building. It's the people who faithfully toil there that give it life and meaning. It's not just the teachers, it includes the vast family of educational support personnel who make good things happen, and smart, caring leaders that bring it all together. I found a little poem I'd like to dedicate to all the educators who are carrying on their crucial work, even as I type. This is written by Caron Loveless, and is found in A Little Book of Hugs for Teachers.


A Teacher Is

You're a banker and an artist.

You're a sprinter and a florist.

You're an actor. You're a juggler.

You're a queen.

You're a lawyer.

You're a manager.

You're a nurse,

and you're a counselor.

You do more by noon

than most have ever seen.

You're a driver and a poet.

A politician (don't you know it!)

You're a botanist, a strategist,

and a judge.

You're a mother and a father.

You're a runner

and a tightrope walker.

You're a soldier fighting

in the war on drugs.

You're a diplomat

and an acrobat.

You're a farmer.

You're a friend.

You tell stories.

You mend fences.

You build dreams.

You're an instructor

and a trainer,

a communicator

and demonstrator.

You're a teacher!

You're incredible!

You're supreme!

Please have a great year. If YOU do, the children will!

No comments: