Saturday, June 16, 2012

Near Camp Cherokee: Another Wallenda Crossed Tallulah Gorge

Before Nik Wallenda did his successful and
spectacular walk across Horseshoe Falls last 
night,his grandfather Karl Wallenda shocked 
the world with a feat every bit as difficult.

It was 42 years ago, as commentators noted
 last evening, that The Great Wallenda walked 
across Tallulah Gorge in Georgia, to great
fanfare and publicity.  The great faith of both
wire-walkers is unmistakable.  Nik was heard
by millions, praising and thanking God for
this opportunity. Decades before, Karl stated,
"I could not have done it if I had not had
my God in my heart."  Likewise, both men
had a goal of inspiring others to dream big
and have the faith to accomplish those dreams.

On our return from the great Camp Cherokee
reunion, Billy Hamby and I took a side trip 
toTallulah Falls, a site I had been 
to a couple of times.

As the sign says, it's 900 feet down to the
Tallulah River at the bottom of the gorge.
Compare that to the 170 foot high Horseshoe
Falls (plus 20 feet higher for the cable) that
Nik Wallenda crossed.

Swirling winds and mist?  Yeah, we got that.
Torrential waters awaiting below.  You bet.

Karl Wallenda's death-defying walk was 
big news in Georgia and the world.  A
roadside stand provides a great view of 
the gorge and a display of some of the
media hoopla at the time.

Several cars were stopped there this
day to get a free view of the mammoth
gorge and peruse souvenirs and snacks.

But not since 1970 have the crowds
gathered here, though the gorge itself
is as awesome as it ever was.  No doubt
officials worried about negative publicity
if Wallenda had fallen to his death.  But
he emerged a world hero, as Nik is now.

As far as I know Karl Wallenda's walk was
not televised nationally.  There are plenty of
photographs on the internet, but I haven't
found any video of that risk-filled stroll.
You may want to check out Karl Wallenda here.

The roadside stand takes me back to the 
'50's in my mind.  It has everything you would
have expected to find at a tourist trap a half
century ago.

I wonder if a few folks will make a pilgrimage
to Tallulah Falls to see this spot, just as masses
are sure to visit Niagara Falls just to view the
site of Nik's latest conquest.

Now I will share my secret, never blogged
about before.  In the summer of 1975, I was
part of a party of three who descended to the
very bottom of Tallulah Gorge.  Here's how it
happened.

That summer at Camp Cherokee we had a
guest naturalist, "Ridge Walker" (is the
pseudonym obvious enough)?  Ridge was
a professor of zoology at LSU, and his 
specialty was arachnology (as in arachnophobia).

Yes.  Spiders.  
Ridge Walker, accompanied by myself and
Jim Wilson, descended the treacherous and 
steep trail to the very bottom of the gorge.
(Apparently there are stairs now.  Not then.)
There we set about netting spider specimens
from the underbrush along the Tallulah River
in hopes that Ridge Walker could identify
some previously unknown species from this
unique ecosystem.


That was an unforgettable day and the steepest
trail I've ever climbed, including Mount 
Mitchell, NC; Sharptop Mountain, VA; and Stone 
Mountain, GA. But it was nothing like two brave 
men who crosseda vast gulf  of open air under 
threatening conditions on a narrow cable.  
Thank goodness!

P.S.  I thought I was pretty brave to share a 
cabin with this honkin' big wolf spider in 
Blue Robin. Courage comes in many forms.


1 comment:

Jennifer Kirby said...

I mean, is that really a spider?!