Friday, September 28, 2012

Chimney Rock # 1: The Flora of Hickory Nut Gorge

Judy and I are just back from a wonderful trip
to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure here in North
Carolina.  Here's a warning: it looks like I'll have 
six different blog posts covering all aspects of 
the trip.  This one is about all the beautiful and
interesting plants we saw in Hickory Nut Gorge.
I won't even attempt to identify the ones I'm not
familiar with and I'll have only a few comments.
This post is pretty tame, but I'll have some photos
in the ensuing posts that will truly knock your 
socks off.  If you're wearing any.

Here's a sampler view of the gorge, followed
by a passel of pictures.  




You may need to click on the pic
to read this Einstein quote.




I would have sworn this was a
variety of poison ivy, but it's
wafer ash.
             






Chestnut Oak, one of my favorites
This GIANT acorn may be from
a Chestnut Oak.




This humongous poplar tree is near Hickory Nut
Falls.  Sadly, it appears to be dying.  But
others will follow.








And last, but not least, a plant I was sorry to
see here: KUDZU.  Likely, it was planted decades
ago to battle erosion.  It will never be eradicated,
but if it ever climbs to the top of Chimney Rock,
there will be scores of volunteers to fight it back.

Next post will follow shortly and
feature Hickory Nut Falls, setting for the
filming of "Last of the Mohicans."


No comments: