Saturday, October 5, 2013

Backbone Rock


In my quest to always find the most obscure
spots, I learned about Backbone Rock
Recreation Area on the internet prior to our trip.
The link below is one of the most informative articles
I've read about this location and I recommend it.

It exceeded expectations, especially with
the Fear Factor.

Judy leads the way up the steep flight of
stone steps.  We later learned that these
were part of the construction work of the
depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps.

They look pretty steep going down, too,
don't they?  And they were wet and slippery
on the day of our visit.

Judy's standing up straight-- it's the rock 
that's tilted.

A view of the "sheer dropoff" the sign
mentioned.  It took all my courage to get
some of these shots, but I would not be
denied.  I can't imagine the daredevils who
rappel off of this stone monolith.

The railing doesn't inspire a lot of confidence
in me concerning safety.  And it's only on 
one side of the rock, even though the sheer
dropoff is on both sides.  

I wouldn't take my grandchildren on such
a treacherous catwalk (not sure about my
children, either)!

This sourwood tree's brilliant colors were
indicative of our higher altitude here.

These evergreen trees won't be changing
color.  It was neat looking down on them.

Okay, let's risk my life again for this view
for my readers.

The only way back is the same creepy way
we came.  (By the way, I was the only one
whining all the way.  Judy was just fine.)

Does anybody besides me have a fear of
dropping your camera (or smartphone)?

Funny-- that footbridge seems even flimsier
and narrower than the first time I crossed it.

Since I survived the climb and descent (the
long, slow descent, not the straight, quick one),
I decided I'd better get some shots of the
tunnel itself.  It's story is well-told in the link
I mentioned earlier.

By virtue of its location in this narrow band
of rock, the tunnel has earned the title of
"World's Shortest Tunnel."  If it had been
any narrower, I don't think I would have
been walking on top of it.

Things never look as tall from down
below, do they?  I never would have made
 it in roofing, skyscraper construction,
or suspension bridge building.  I'm a 
down-to-earth kind of guy.

Another interesting tidbit is that when 
this tunnel was constructed, they didn't 
blast it tall enough for the smokestack
of the locomotive.  The middle portion
had to be hand chiseled to allow passage
for the engine of the Beaver Dam railroad.

Since Judy and I didn't follow the trail to 
Backbone Rock Falls, we'll have to visit
this cool spot again when we return to the
Abingdon/ Damascus/ Whitetop area for
a future trip on the Virginia Creeper trail.

I hope you've enjoyed  the sights I've shared
about our trip.  We highly recommend all of
these area attractions.  Coming up soon:
our return to Grassy Creek Cabooses.

No comments: