Saturday, December 27, 2014

A Holiday Interlude in Concord, NC

"Sandwiched" between Christmas and New Year's
Judy and I were able to meet up with dear friends
Charlie and Liz.  We struck gold with our lunch
choice: The Havana Carolina Cafe' in Concord.

We are all game for authentic ethnic food,
and we certainly found it here.

Judy's Cuban coffee displays a touch
of their TLC.

Here's the Cuban Sampler Platter, which
both Judy and I got.  It is a WINNER!

Liz got a different assortment.  All of us
declared that if it were closer we would
be regular customers.


Strolling on Union Street, I noticed this
historic plaque.  When I saw the date, I 
realized that Jefferson Davis was fleeing
from Richmond in the closing days of the
Civil War when this event occurred.  He was
literally running for his life.

The old downtown area also boasted this
beautiful hillside garden.


I was a little rusty with my self-timer,
but figured it out.


There were many classic old houses on this
street, mostly in good shape or undergoing
renovation.  I dubbed this one the Gingerbread
house, and commented that it would fit nicely
in Charleston, SC.

Before parting, we stopped at a nice little
community park.  We followed the greenway
for a short distance.

I really liked this quote of FDR:
"Peace, like charity, begins at home."
That is certainly applicable to our times.

The quote was posted in 10 languages, and
though I photographed it from a few angles,
I didn't get all 10.  Only Charlie can tell me
which ones I missed.



This cool bridge was our turnaround point.
My knees had already had a good workout.

I love tunnels.  Doesn't everyone?

The well-equipped playground had some
impressive cutting-edge play equipment.


And Liz, being the good sport that she is,
allowed me to snap her trying out this
innovative "log-rolling" activity.  It looks
 like fun, but I played it safe and stayed off.

What a great little follow-up to Christmas
this day was.  We'll look forward to next time.

No comments: