Thursday, March 5, 2009

"I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes. . . ."

One of the most memorable elements of Mama’s funeral service was a litany of her favorite Bible verses read by her two pastors. The Reverend Dr. Royeese Stowe was Mama’s senior pastor and had gotten to know her and Daddy well since coming to Chamblee Methodist two years ago. Associate Pastor Jordan Thrasher had likewise developed a warm friendship with my parents during his short time there. The heartfelt love expressed by Roy and Jordan, and the fact that they had gotten to know Mama much more closely than most of her pastors in recent years, made their words both comforting and uplifting. I was deeply impressed that they chose to read all scriptures from the King James version, little heard in Methodist circles for decades. This special touch was a tribute to the way Mama would have heard the verses as a child and young woman. As Roy implied, modern translations are fine for meaning, but for the exquisite poetry of the Psalms, nothing beats the King James.

As I listened to the words again that day I thought of the powerful truths they imparted. And they weren’t just for us. We have also lost an aunt and two uncles in the last 13 months, one just days before Mama’s death. Their families were there, and I know we all shared many of the same thoughts this day.

Here are just a few of the verses shared that day.
  • Blessed is the man who walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. (Psalm 1: 1-2)
  • Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer. (Psalm 19: 14)
  • The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they who dwell therein. (Psalm 24: 1)
  • God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble, therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. (Psalm 46: 1-2)
  • God be merciful unto us, and bless us, and cause his face to shine upon us, that thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations. (Psalm 67: 1-2)
  • I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills. From whence cometh my help? My help cometh from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121: 1-2)

    Those are only excerpts, but here is the 100th Psalm in its entirety:


Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness; come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord, he is God; it is he who hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise; be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting, and his truth endureth to all generations.

Here are several familiar and powerful verses from Philippians, chapter 4, probably Mama’s favorite Bible chapter of all.

  • Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, rejoice.
  • Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God, and the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
  • I have learned, in whatever state I am, in this to be content.
  • I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me.
  • My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
  • Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

    These weren’t just words to Mama, they were her daily practice, even to the end.

    Pastor Roy saved the beloved 23rd Psalm for the graveside. You may have it memorized, but if not, here it is (so you don’t have to go searching for your King James)!

    The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
    he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

    All of these truths, spoken in the midst of much loved friends and family, made it a little easier to say goodbye to Mama. Especially since one day I’ll get to greet her with “Hello” once again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd Transplant Day to Judy!!
February was Greg's 2nd anniversary for his kidney. Enjoying your blog!
Angie (Josh's mom)