Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Old-Time Fiddlers's Convention

For 74 years the Old-Time Fiddlers's Convention has been held in Highfalls, in northern Moore County, NC. It is well-suited to the ampitheater type seating in the North Moore High School auditorium. I've heard about this convention for many years, and a few weeks ago it occurred to me that this would be the perfect year for me to participate.


Okay, when you think of bluegrass you think fiddle, bass, guitar, banjo, mandolin, and dobro. They had all of that. They also had some superb clogging talent. Performances by young talent and old pros, both individuals and groups, went on from 5:30 until 11:30.

I was quite pleased that this particular convention also had a piano category! YES!


Not being very familiar with the set-up, I arrived early and got registered. I didn't realize this meant I would actually perform very near the beginning, but I was glad. As it turned out, there was only one other adult piano entrant, and he played just a few minutes before me. He did very well, and I knew I had tough competition.

I played a medley of old-time favorites:

  • San Antonio Rose

  • Redwing

  • Down Yonder

  • Nobody's Sweetheart

  • Under the Double Eagle

  • 12th Street Rag

Fortunately, I did not play these songs on the piano pictured below. I was able to use the Yahama Grand--my instrument of choice!


I got an enthusiastic response from the crowd, especially on the last two songs, but at that time I didn't know there wouldn't be any more pianists. Late in the evening, I was pretty confident I would come in either first or second--DUH! And when the awards were finally announced at the end of the long but festive evening, I came in next-to-last. In this case, that was first place and a twenty-five dollar cash prize. I don't think I'll even have to report it to Uncle Sam!

I had a terrific time and have had potential songs for next year cycling through my mind ever since. Daddy had insisted I call him with the results no matter how late it was, and I woke him up a few minutes after midnight. He didn't mind--in fact, he said he'd like to be here for next year's convention. Don't know if that'll work out or not, but the Convention is always the second Saturday of March, which will be March 13, 2010. Maybe you'll join us!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

LOVE
GAIL
(3/19/09)

Jennifer Kirby said...

Congratulations! So cool! And happy birthday from me too (I'll call you later). Love you, Jenn