Monday, June 1, 2009

Exit May, Enter June: Weekend Update

These fabulous photos of Brianna's latest smiles (becoming more frequent and intentional) are stolen from Amanda's blog. To see more of this good stuff, click here.


Last Thursday we were delighted to receive a visit from Laura and Davis. Davis is a big pirate fan, like me. I love Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, the ships, Captain Hook, stuff like that.
Davis helped me put to good use a whole box of pirate toys I had bought when I was teaching. I knew it would come in handy. Here, he brandishes a cannon that actually shoots. You never know what you'll run into out on the high seas.
Like this TWO-HEADED SEA MONSTER! Providing sound effects was great fun.
Davis was having so much fun with the pirate stuff--especially the target practice--I wasn't sure I could interest him in my Super Duper Music Looper on the computer. But he tried it and loved it. By using the mouse to "color" in the instruments he wanted, he composed some really cool rhythms.
I was delighted when Davis headed to the piano to try his hand(s) at real composing!

Changing the subject, I took some yard photos over the weekend. I'm going to cover the garden in a separate post, but here are some of our favorite non-vegetable plants at this time of year.
These sweet peas are prolific and will keep blooming until the weather gets too hot or the deer eat them.
The magnolias are starting to blossom and their scent fills the air. Magnolias always make me think of 8th grade promotion ceremonies in the old Farm Life Auditorium, when these blossoms adorned the stage. It's that time again, but now it's fifth grade promotion (way to go, EMMA!) in a rather different auditorium.
Judy and I always loved this wildflower called Fire Pink. We used to see it in mountain parks. I think God gave us a special gift to have Fire Pink become so abundant in our yard, since we never see it anywhere else around here. Last night I saw a hummingbird visiting each individual bloom of this one. The blooms are delicate, brilliant, and special.

This red honeysuckle is different from the usual yellow and white. It is a vine, but confines itself to a more compact area. Years ago, I transplanted some from an old plant near the edge of our property. Since then, birds have planted others in the vicinity of our yard. Hummers also like these.
We're starting to see some variety in an old wildflower bed near the road.

This is also in the roadside bed. Possibly phlox? Maybe some of you can help me out.

Now, on to Sunday. Judy and I had good Sunday morning services. After lunch I headed to Pinehurst Nursing Center where we one of our best and most spirited worship services I can remember. Imagine 18 wheelchairs in an activity room the size of a typical living room! Aaron and Johnny led the singing, Ray and I provided the instruments, and Aaron had an inspiring message. The residents were very involved in requesting and singing favorite hymns, including one they had taught us a while back, "Victory Today is Mine." If you don't know it, call me and I'll sing it to you over the phone. Or not.

About 5:00 Judy and I headed to Cannon Park in Pinehurst for the Grace Church Picnic. What a crowd there was. There was a softball game, people playing soccer, volleyball, water games, and more. There were hot dogs and burgers, of course, and quite an array of desserts. We were glad to see Ray and Margie arrive to join in the good time with us.
We were home by 7, but our day was not over. We picked up Thelma and the three of us went for a quiet walk at the Sandhills College Horticultural Gardens. While there, I successfully located the sundial Jennifer recently featured in one of her helpful marriage hints on her blog. This one was special to me (Where do I pick up my prize, Jennifer?)
Thelma and Judy at the waterfalls. Very reminiscent of our Greenville trip, but on a much smaller scale.
Waterfalls without Thelma and Judy.
Remember, I can't resist lovely rockwork creations!
On a somewhat sad note, the gardens were actually in a state of neglect and disrepair (like The Secret Garden when it was first re-discovered). There are a couple of possible explanations: much work may be postponed until the current construction of a new horticultural building is complete, or funding cuts have forced decisions to limit maintenance during the summer. Whatever the reason, we truly hope the gardens return to their traditional grandeur as soon as possible.
In my next post I'll provide a "before and after" glimpse at this year's Loyd garden.

No comments: