Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Children's Garden: Greenville

Hi there! If you're visiting my blog for the first time in a while, this is my THIRD blog post TODAY about our recent visit to Greenville, SC. If you haven't read the previous two posts, it will all make better sense if you scroll all the way down to the first of the three.

As you now know, the Children's Garden was not the last thing we saw on our trip, but it appealed to me on so many levels I wanted to give it a post of its own. This welcoming column is actually one of the pillars supporting the city street above our heads.

The rest of the columns were similarly decorated. What an impressive and wise use of a space some people might have overlooked!
Some of my pictures are the abundant flowers, herbs, and other plants, but many are the amazing works of art which successfully work to intertwine characters of children's literature, the five senses, and other themes. What's this? Why, Jack's beanstalk!

Each letter stood for a special garden flower.

This brave warrior stands as a tribute to the Cherokee nation that once called these lands home.

And this brave pig stands as a tribute to . . . uh . . . oh yes-- Friendship and Undying Loyalty!
We love you, Wilbur!

JUDY'S BEEN FRAMED!!! By this lovely trellis, that is.
An assortment of woodland creatures adorn this pillar.
One of our favorite sections in the five senses section had three exhibits where visitors could create their own sounds. Here, you could blow across the openings to create the musical scale, since each pipe had a different length (go ahead, try this at home).
This musical turtle was capable of generating four or more musical tones, depending on where you tapped him.
This one would have been fun, but unfortunately the sticks for striking these chimes were locked to a post just out of reach. Bummer.
Recognize the Gingerbread House where the wicked witch lured Hansel and Gretel to their near-destruction? This is what children love!
On a gentler note, Winnie-the-Pooh would calm anyone whose heart was racing at the sight of the witch.
Here's The Tale of Peter Rabbit, with every plant mentioned in Mr. MacGregor's garden.

Oh yes, here's some of what you'd expect to find in a garden!

And now, for my favorite part--The Secret Garden. I never read this book until I was an adult, but I dearly love it now. Most of you have seen one or more of the film versions. I am partial to the Hallmark version, and perhaps I'll watch it again soon.
Before you can enter, you must find the door and the key!

Ah, you're in! The next seven photos are self-explanatory: they give a very brief retelling of this timeless tale. I'm afraid the print may be too small to read in several of them.








Yes, there was "every joy on earth" in the Secret Garden.

As I joked to Judy, Amanda, and Brianna tonight at our little hotdog cookout, it took me longer to do these three blog posts than we actually spent in Greenville. That was only a slight exaggeration! Well, I hope you enjoyed the journey. Greenville was a pleasant surprise for me and I'll look forward to future visits there.

No comments: