Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday, Busy Friday!

Friday was an eclectic kind of day. By noon I was out at school, where I had promised three classes of 2nd graders a walk on the SFL Nature Trail before school gets out. In spite of a threat of rain, we got nary a drop and it turned out to be perfect weather for the hike.


We have a wide curb that serves as a "Magic Line Straightener" as we approach the steps to the ballfield and Nature Trail. It never fails!
Here I gave an introductory talk about using our eyes and ears and what we might expect to encounter. These children were attentive, well-behaved, and knowledgeable. I was most impressed!


"Lions and Tigers and Bears-- Oh my!"

For anyone who's been on the trail, a must-see is "Jack, Will, and Tom" the triple trunk poplar tree.

Mrs. Allen enjoys it as much as the students.
This is the unusual view these folks were seeing!
The nature trail is always in a state of change, either natural or man-made. The property owners had recently bulldozed a new road that ran parallel to the stream. It allowed us to venture further into the woods and the wider trail made strolling a little more casual. At one point a sapling was across the trail, and those who were able used it to do a "Jumbo Limbo." I failed to get a picture, so use your imagination (I had to cheat).


These students gaze with wonder at "Big Rock," a quartz monolith that appears unexpectedly beside the stream. Geologically, the trail is located along Moore County's McLendon's Fault, and there are many areas of exposed rock formations and hillside outcroppings.
"Big Rock" shows up a little more clearly here. In times of drought when the stream runs dry (that's an oxymoron) kids can climb on the rock. But in other times, crossing the stream is hazardous--at least with schoolkids.
Old Man Poplar seems as if he will fall at any time. This giant tree leans across another tree, but doesn't actually touch it. One day I will find this tree across our trail, blocking it decisively. Then I'll use my chainsaw to cut a path through it.

"Mr. Loyd, are you sure we're not lost?"

As we exited the trail, I showed the students the dreaded KUDZU, the plant that wants to take over the world (sort of like killer tomatoes). I explained that under ideal conditions it can grow up to a foot a day. If not kept in check, it could take over the library (loud cheer from the students) or the office (tremendous roar of approval from the students)! Sorry, Miss McNeill, but I'm sure they meant no offense. It's the "authority" thing.


Besides, as long as my old pals Mr. Spencer and Mr. Smith are on the job, the Kudzu monster will never make it across the bus parking lot.
After concluding the second of my one-hour hikes, I was off to Moore Regional Hospital where volunteers were included in a cookout celebration.


The special meal was barbecue, potato salad, cole slaw (from the Danish word koolsla, meaning 'chopped cabbage'), baked beans, bun, drink, and cheesecake. Hard to beat that!

This evening, Judy stirred up a special stir-fry dish: her own recipe. It included beef chips, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and sugar pod peas from our own garden! It was outstanding! We ate on the porch, as we love to do at this time of year. Just before I sat down, I saw we had an uninvited (but welcome) guest--this tree frog. Looks like he made it through the winter just fine. So I just moved his chair over and reached in the house for another chair for me. He stayed right there through the entire meal. He probably expected to be served (if he were in France, he might have been).
That's enough for this time. Coming up, I'll be blogging about last Tuesday's trip to the zoo. There's so much to show and tell, it may take 2 or even 3 blog posts. See you then.

4 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Fun day! It is so awesome that nature trail hikes didn't have to end with your retirement.

Dawn H said...

Ahh, it seems like just yesterday we had the dedication of the nature tail.....Boy, Cary Jr. McLeod used to love to pick at me about that Fruit of the Loom label he found on the trail!

Cindy said...

I'm so glad you are continuing the nature hikes at SFL!! Hopefully, Emy will get to go on another one with you soon. Can you believe it? She is almost already through Kindergarten?! Time has truly flown this year!

Anonymous said...

I still remember being the class who helped bring that trail to life..
It was so much fun and I still have the book you made for us.

Jimmy Calhoun