Friday, April 22, 2011

A Musician's Prayer: A Special Gift from My Friend Steve

A couple of weeks ago my good friend Steve gave me a special gift.  Our pastor often proclaims that Steve's spirit of love and kindness embodies the heart and soul of our church. 


The gift was a card with "A Musician's Prayer."  It has been most meaningful to me because since I retired the Lord has impressed on me more and more that my music is a gift to be shared  outside the church as well as within.  That's not a new idea to me, having shared music at school and in various settings over the years.  But it seems like new opportunities are opening up all the time, and the blessings have been bountiful.

My photo of the card is a little fuzzy, but below I'll print the verses from the front and back.

A MUSICIAN'S PRAYER

When music is a prayer,
A sacred melody,
It's like a special love song,
A perfect harmony.
A heart that's filled with music
Whose love for God is strong,
Is the heart
That's full of worship
And whose life becomes a song.

As I've done more and more music with both the very young and the elderly, the universal nature of music has become clearer than ever to me.  I've been sharing with my listeners in all kinds of settings that music is a special language given to us by God.  With it we can express every human emotion, but more importantly, we can worship God, who gives us the gift.

Maybe you don't think you sing very well.  Maybe you don't play an instrument.  It doesn't matter.  Maybe you don't have rhythm.  Who cares?  I bet you still love music in some format, even if it's only as a listener.

But as the poem says, what's more important is
 that our LIFE becomes a song,
showing God's love and His perfect harmony
to all those we encounter in our daily walk.

Thanks again, Steve.
And thank you, God!

No comments: