Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Eclectic Collector of Collections

I have ALWAYS enjoyed collecting things, as a child and as an adult.  The biggest difference between me and most collectors is that my collections are almost uniformly without value except to me.  A few of them have educational value or entertainment value and I can occasionally share them with interested individuals or groups.  But most just give me simple pleasure without doing any harm.  Except they take up space, some more than others.  That's why, if we ever move, I'm going to have son-in-law Matt build me a nice sized storage building.

In addition to my many collections, I have several hobbies which don't involve collecting.  I'm going to list both here, with occasional comments or words of explanation.  Any one of these could be a future blog post, but today is just a brief overview.

The Collections
  • Stamps   ~   began with going through old envelopes as a child, then buying bags of foreign stamps at Woolworth's to place in albums
  • Coins  ~   my favorites are Indian Head pennies and Stone Mountain half dollars
  • Rocks   ~  began at Camp Cherokee with unusual finds from campouts
  • License Plates   ~   from my own cars and a couple of trashpile finds
  • Vintage Glassware   ~   much found on our own property in trash piles
  • Salt and Pepper Shakers   ~  following in my Mama Gaddis's footsteps
  • Civil War items and books   ~  began by age 6
  • Books  ~  have loved books and stories as long as I can remember
  • Comic Books   ~   dating back to the '50's.  DC (Superman) and Dell are favorites
  • Brainteasers  ~   loved them as a student, collected them as a teacher
  • Baseball Cards   ~  collected in 1965, my first year in Little League.  Willy Mays, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron and more
  • Games   ~   I have ALWAYS loved games, both indoor and outdoor, old and new
  • Toys   ~  I love old toys, creative toys, and durable toys
  • Vintage Videotapes   ~   the most eclectic of my collections
  • Record Albums   ~   As long as they keep making diamond needles and turntables 
  • Fake Snakes   ~   this isn't your typical rubber snakes.  I invent my own
  • Rubber Stampers   ~   something for every occasion.  Saving these for the grandkids when they're a little more "responsible."

Hobbies

  • The Civil War
  • World War II
  • History in general
  • Genealogy, Loyd Family History
  • Photography
  • Waterfall Hikes
  • String Tricks
  • Playing the Piano, other music
  • Volunteering
  • Storytelling
  • Writing Limericks
I could go on and on with either of these lists.  It didn't take me so long to compile them.  I get untold satisfaction from these varied activities and the surprising destinations they have taken me to.  My greatest pleasure is when I can share them with someone else and see the fascination grow before my eyes.  What do you collect?


My father, Marvin E. Loyd in World War II
 
Mama Loyd and her family-- genealogy

Singalong at a Daycare

Cave hiking in Kentucky


The marks of the Civil War surround my birthplace.

My Roy Rogers gear.


Salt and Peppers.  And these are just the COWS!


One of my favorite dragons-- solid pewter.

Just as I was completing this post more ideas came to me.  I had not listed that I collect dragons or old tools.  And that one of my favorite pastimes is cutting and splitting wood.
When people ask me how I keep busy I don't have to hesitate to respond.  And this is just what I do when I don't have the grandbabies-- my newest and most favoritest hobby AND collection!



No comments: