Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Veterans Day Tribute: D-Day Heroes

This post is the culmination of
my Veterans Day tribute.  The
handsome veteran pictured below
is my father, Marvin Ellis Loyd.
At 97, he is one of the oldest living
veterans of World War II.

He was a flight chief in the famed
Orange Tails, a squadron of P-47
Thunderbolts.  He did not cross the
English Channel on D-Day, but was
in support of air assaults and cover
throughout that historic operation.

I've chosen to feature our National D-Day
Memorial now at Veterans Day rather than
on June 6, which is actually D-Day.  My
reason is the connection of the D-Day Memorial, 
Sharptop Mountain, and the town of Bedford, Va.
For more on the connection, be sure to read the
two preceding blogs.

This post card shows flags of the eleven
allied nations that banded together for
Operation Overlord, the largest invasion
force in history.
 

The following four photos are post cards
on sale at the memorial.




The next ten photos are uncaptioned, but
I took these on my first visit there.  Each
is moving to those who know the story of
D-Day.  Movies from The Longest Day to
Saving Private Ryan's have attempted to
portray the immense drama, danger, and
importance of the invasion, but it is unlikely
any of us who weren't there can ever fully
comprehend the urgency and scope of the
plan.  I won't even try to put it into words.











Obviously, I would recommend a visit to
the memorial at Bedford, Virginia.  The town
lost the highest percentage of its young men of
any town in America that fateful day.

If you can't go to Bedford, I suggest you seek
out those World War II veterans who still live
and ask for their story.  Have your children
listen and learn what they will not likely learn
in school.  Books and lectures can scarcely
approach the drama of those who lived WWII.

In my own classroom, and now in my home,
I maintain a "Patriot's Corner," honoring all
those who served, but first and foremost,
my father and his Orange Tail brothers.

I plan to share my father's legacy with
my grandchildren and visitors to our home
whenever I can.  A knowledge of history
certainly helps us understand our own purpose.

At my father's last Air Force reunion in
the fall of 2008, I provided music for one
of the squadron's banquets.  Neil Melton,
founder and owner of the Tennessee Aviation
Museum, came up to me to see if I'd like to
go up in a T-38 trainer plane, World War II
vintage.  Not likely to get an opportunity like
this again, I jumped at the chance.

Here I am with my father (center) and brother
(right) in front of the T-38.

There's a reason I look confident.
Neal at the wheel.  Or stick.

Just along for the ride, but what a ride!
We could see Knoxville, Pigeon Forge,
Sevierville, and Gatlinburg.  Plus a lot
of little things that looked like ants waving
at us from a runway far below.

This is a P-47 Thunderbolt, one of the
most durable of the World War II
fighter-bombers.  It was almost impossible
to shoot down even after multiple hits due
to its heavy armor and air-cooled 16 piston
engine.  It was often called "The Flying Jug."

Of course, I knew Neal couldn't take me
up in his own P-47, Hun Hunter.  It's a one-
seater.  But I'd be scared I'd break it, anyway.

This photo has four men who are very
special to me.  From left to right:

Marvin Loyd, my dad, WW II flight chief

Neal Melton, owner of the museum and his
own P-47, and a dear friend of all the vets

Bert Lok, one of daddy's crew chiefs and a
faithful friend for almost seven decades now

John Shoffner, another P-47 owner who flies
in for all the Orange Tail reunions and does
flyovers with Neal.

Our final banquet was in the large hangar.
John's "Wicked Wabbit" is behind us,
providing the atmosphere.  Left to right
are my wife Judy, me, sister Caryn,
Daddy, Mama, and brother Ellis ("Buddy").
And yes, if you're that observant, Daddy
can still wear his dress uniform jacket-- it's
the same one as in the very first picture in
this blog!

Here he is one more time, this time in
his work overalls.  Doing his little bit
to make the world safe for democracy.
My hero.
Do what you can to honor the
veterans in your own family or
among your circle of friends.
You'll be glad you did.


No comments: