Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Grandpa Loyd is 98!

I'm going to be saving this button for 39 years,
when it will apply to me.  But everyone was
wearing them this weekend for DADDY, who
has, in fact, just turned 98.  What a time we had! 

The photograph below, recently shared by
my Aunt Frances, has become my favorite.
Daddy is the handsome young 15 year-old
at the bottom right.  Standing is his brother
Raymond, one year younger.  5 year-old
Herman is seated and holding 1 year-old
Frances in his lap.  And Daddy has one
hand firmly gripping his kitten.  Isn't that
the coolest roadster you ever saw?  And 
this was in 1929.

A simple Chic fil-a party seemed appropriate.

Caryn thinks of everything.  TWO balloons
to create the "98." And an Atlanta Braves
balloon is the perfect touch, since he's been
a baseball fan all his life and a Braves fan
since 1965, when they came to Atlanta.

Lindsey got rave reviews for her coconut
cupcakes, four of which formed Daddy's
birthday cake.  

Daddy says, "All this for me?  I'm only 98."

"Oh well, we won't argue about it.  I'll blow
them out so we can get started."

Buddy, Caryn, and I are so thankful for
Daddy.  And I was thankful to be there
for this grand occasion.
When I was a boy, Daddy's birth year of 1914
didn't seem so long ago.  Now that it's almost
a century I'm reminded of what has transpired 
in Daddy's lifetime.
  • The Titanic sank in 1912, just two years before Daddy came along
  • Daddy remembers his grandparents serving lemonade on Armistice Day, November 11, 1919, to World War I soldiers at surrounding Camp Gordon.
  • Daddy rode to church in a horse and buggy when he was a year old.
  • He delivered milk all over downtown Atlanta with his father and grandfather in a mule-driven wagon.
  • He remembers when our modern I-85 was a two lane dirt road, and the milk wagon had to pull over for the first cars to drive around.
He's seen so much more, but those are some things
that stand out from his early life.  He made it through
the depression and World War II and has had a 
wonderful life.  Even more important, he's shared
his love, wisdom, and enthusiasm with his family,
friends, and strangers all along the way.


And he's not done yet!
Happy Birthday, Daddy!  I love you!

1 comment:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Great post! My only quibble is with the last line: Has Grandpa ever met a stranger? Love! me