Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Christmas Tree Story

I'm 59 years old and have never had a
store-bought Christmas tree.  When I was
a boy in Georgia, pine trees cut on our own
land were the norm.  In my adult life, Judy 
and I usually opted for cedars, which are
more suitably shaped and more readily 
available around here.

This year, thanks to a thoughtful gift some
13 years ago, we have our very first Virginia
Spruce tree.  13 years ago was when Katie gave
me a live tree for a Christmas present.  I planted
it near the edge of our property and watched it
grow.  I never intended to cut it, hoping it would
make a nice little buffer between us and our
neighboring daycare center (not that's there's
anything wrong with that).

But circumstances made this the year for
it to become our Christmas tree.  Another
year and it would have been too big.  And
sometime I'll tell you why I couldn't just 
leave it alone.  So here I am with my trusty,
dull saw, as Judy captures the moment.

If I knew anything about pruning, I could
have shaped this into the perfect tree over
the last 13 years (by the way-- 13 has always
been my lucky number).  But if it were
perfect, it wouldn't be right for US!

Shortly, it became the official
Loyd Eclectic Christmas Tree of 2012.
It's 9 feet tall.  I cut it off at ground level
and didn't have to trim the top at all.
So I guess it is perfect, after all!

Katie's gift has always made me think of
 a very special Christmas story I used to read
 to my classes: The Twelfth Night Trouble.

The basic story is about a little girl named
Mary Berry who loved her Christmas tree
very, very much.  But when it was time for
the tree to come down on Twelfth Night, she
became Poor Mary Berry, the saddest little
girl around.  This also saddened everyone
who loved her: her mother, her daddy, and
. . . Santa Claus!

Santa's brilliant solution is to bring
her a small live tree that she can love
and nurture for years and years.
And that was enough for a typical
happy ending.  But it's not the ending!

The part of the story that sets it apart
for me, and brings tears to my eyes is
this.  Many years later, a little old lady--
yes, a grandmother-- gathers her scores
of grandchildren.  They stand under the
tall and stately tree that has grown for
many years outside her door.  

And the children beg her and beg her to
tell once again the story of the tree.
"It all starts with when 
I was Poor Mary Berry. . ."

Our little tree didn't get to grow as
tall as Mary Berry's.  But we will never
forget this special tree and this special
year.  Trees always tell a story, if we pay
attention.  They have a legacy, even if
they are used for firewood, or for building
furniture or a home.  As human beings we,
too, have a legacy.  We have stories to share.
The generations that follow us need to know
more than ever there's more to life than eat,
work, sleep, and start all over again.
They need to hear from us that we are created
with a purpose by a heavenly Father who loved
us so much He sent his Son to be our Savior.
Without the coming of Jesus, we'd have no story
to tell and no Christmas to celebrate.
But we DO, and that is the best part of my
Christmas tree story.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
GOD BLESS YOU!

No comments: