Saturday, December 15, 2012

Christmas Music, Motion, and Magic at Watch Me Grow

One of the many highlights of this past week
was my annual Christmas Music-Fest at 
Watch Me Grow pre-school in Southern Pines.

These youngsters and their teachers always
give me a heart-warming welcome.

Miss Marianne has some of the brightest
4 and 5 year-olds this year!

And very sweet, affectionate, and 
friendly, too.  When I arrived they had just
pledged allegiance to the flag, and I was in
time for the singing of the national anthem.
Then, one little girl spontaneously introduced
herself, clearing stating her name.  With slight
pauses, the others followed suit, acting just
as grown up as you please.

We were soon joined by the younger classes, who 
also wanted some Christmas joy.  These little elves
looked like they were just in from the North Pole.
And they looked like they might have been up
all night wrapping presents.

With a room full of Santa's helpers, I got the
program underway.

"Oh, you better watch out,
you better not cry,
you better not pout
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is coming to town!"

"Jolly old St. Nicholas,
lean your ear this way . . ."

"Don't you tell a single soul
what I'm going to say . . ."

"Christmas Eve is coming soon,
Now you dear old man,
Whisper what you'll bring to me,
Tell me if you can!"

Of all the songs, "Jingle Bells" was
the obvious favorite.  We did it two 
ways, first with hand motions and no
keyboard, then with the keyboard.

One thing I still like about my 20 year-old
Casio keyboard is that I can use a foot pedal
to stop and start rhythms and music for
the ever popular Freeze Dancing.  I used the
lively "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around
the Christmas Tree."

Also popular were some novelty songs like
"All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth,"
Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas song 
(simulate an Alvin voice by holding your nose),
and "I'm Getting Nuttin' for Christmas."

We practiced "Frosty the Snowman" and
"We Wish You a Merry Christmas," which
the children will be performing for their
parents this coming week.  I asked the teachers
to request some of their favorites, and we
all joined in on "Silent Night" and "Angels
We Have Heard on High."  What a wonderful
spirit there was among us.

All good things must come to an end, so we
soon had to send the merry elves back to 
"Santa's workshop."

I still had time for a little more up close
and personal time with the older children,
and what a blessing that was.

If you need something during this holiday
season to lift and encourage your spirit in
the midst of the turbulence of this world of
ours, I suggest you seek out some of God's
children (young or old) to spend time with.

While it's true they are innocent and unaware
of the dangers of our world and our times,
there is no reason theirs should not be a 
generation full of hope.  But not because man
will finally solve the problems of our age.
Rather, because God, through His Son Jesus
has already given us the solution to the 
problems of all ages.

Helpful elves to the very end, the children
insisted on carrying my seat and keyboard
stand to the parking lot for me.  Two children
proved that with their combined strength they
could lift my very heavy keyboard and case
a few inches off the ground.  But I carried it,
thinking I might need it again next year!
It still amazes me each time I spend an hour
with senior citizens or young children, how
much joy, love, and enthusiasm can be
generated in such a short period of time.
For the past couple of years I've been more
convinced than ever (and I tell my listeners)
that music is a special language God has
placed in every heart, because there are some
 things that can't be expressed any other way.

In the words of Tiny Tim, 
MERRY CHRISTMAS,
AND
GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE!

No comments: