Friday, February 22, 2013

Gleanings from Romans



I have gained more insight from my recent reading and re-reading of the book of Romans than I would have imagined.  Here are some gleanings I read in chapters 14 and 15 today that are both cautionary and encouraging to me.  I hope they will be helpful to some of you, my reader-friends, as well.

(Note: these are excerpts from my NIV-- I invite you to read the entire chapters in your own Bible)

Romans 14: 11-13
It is written: 
"As surely as I live, says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.'"
So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another.  Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Romans 14: 17-19
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.  Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

Romans 14: 4-7
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

Romans 15: 13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Romans is definitely one of my favorite books of the Bible. There is so much to get from reading it! Thank you for sharing!