Saturday, February 9, 2013

Shakin' Our Sillies Out in 2nd Grade

Friday was a red-letter day for me as I
returned to dear old Sandhills Farm Life
for a long-awaited singalong.  It was also
something of a reunion, since I was invited
by my longtime assistant Beth Taylor and
TWO former students who are now teaching
at their alma mater: Rachel (Black) Arrington
and Amy (Suddreth) Mathews.  Thanks for
the invitation ladies!


Mrs. Arrington gave me a glowing introduction,
mentioning her own fond memories, such as
nature walks, burning multiplication cards, 
storytelling, and singalongs.

These second graders sat very still and
attentive during those preliminaries.  But
I didn't come for them to just sit still . . .

So we began with a song called
"Shake Your Sillies Out."  And that's just
what we did!

. . . as well as clapping our crazies out,
jumping our jiggles out, yawning our sleepies
 out, and stretching our stretchies out.

I explained to the students my old trick:
if the principal or superintendent happened
to drop in, we would convince them that
our singalong was a READING lesson.
Which, of course, is the exact truth!
In fact, Miss McNeill and other principals
I served under, as well as most Moore County
Schools superintendents have been guests at
my singalongs over the years.  Not to mention
countless parents.

 At least half of the songs we sang today
involved motions.  The children were fast
learners.  In "Boom Boom, Ain't it Great
to be Crazy?" we sang 
"Way up north where there's ice and snow"

"There lived a penguin and his
name was Joe; he got so tired
of black and white . . ."

"He wore pink slacks to the
dance last night!"

All the teachers were entitled to request
their own old favorites.  Their selections
were "The Cat Came Back," "Rocky Top,"
"God Bless the USA," (you should have seen
those young patriots standing tall!) 
and "Jingle Jangle Jingle" (about the cowboy
whose jingling spurs reminded him 'ain't you
glad you're single?').

"And I'd gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the U.S.A."

Our variety of songs are laden with subtle
messages-- and sometimes not so subtle:
"And by the way, if you hate to go to school,
You may grow up to be a MULE!"

A song I learned way back in 3rd grade
is "The Desperado." This big, bold man
came into Chicago just to give the West a rest.
"He wore a big sombrero and a gun
beneath his vest . . ."
"And he horsed around just like
a big tornado . . ."

"And everywhere he went
he gave his 'Wahoo!'"

About midway through our hour, we gave
our voices a rest as I shared a tale from my
new favorite storybook: "The Adventures 
of Molly Whuppie."

I love to dim the lights to remove the 
distractions of our surroundings, allowing
us to transport ourselves into the land
of make-believe.  In fact, a huge factor
in motivation, regardless of the subject
matter, is to properly "set the stage."

If you observe how the students hang on 
every word of these old tales, you'd realize
that children of today are still receptive to
the same things that they've loved through
the ages: surprise, adventure, new experiences.

Molly Whuppie is a new type of heroine,
but overcomes every obstacle in the tradition
of Jack in "The Jack Tales."

"Then the door opened and out stepped
a BIG . . . HIGH . . . TALL . . .
GIANT WOMAN!"

After the story's dramatic conclusion, we 
sang a few more tunes.  When it was time
to close, I taught the children an old John
Denver song that I traditionally shared
with my classes: "Friends With You."

"Friends, I will remember you,
think of you, pray for you . . ."

"And when another day is through,
I'll still be friends with you!"

Yes, I had a wonderful time with my
friends, old and new.  The fun of an
old-fashioned singalong never grows old!
Thanks for the invitation, and let's do it again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This brought back fantastic memories. Thank you so much for sharing.-Carla Weatherington