Thursday, February 26, 2009

Twelve Days Earlier. . .

Today's blog reminds me of a Seinfeld episode that began with a bizarre wedding scene. It then backtracked--two hours earlier, four days earlier, and so on-- to explain how everything had come to pass. It was clever and funny. I've seen Monk employ that device recently, and no doubt other shows have used it. Well, in today's blog, I'm backing up TWELVE whole days to the Valentine's dinner I never got to tell you about. You all know that the day after Valentine's Day, we hurriedly headed to Atlanta due to Mama's death. Let's see if I can even remember twelve days ago!

Here was Judy's menu for that memorable meal:
  • Sweet and Sour Pork

  • Steamed Asparagus

  • Sweet Potatoes and Marshmallows

  • Yeast Rolls

  • Sage Butter

  • Choice of Tea, Coffee, or Water

  • Valentine Parfait

Not only is Judy a fantastic cook, she loves to cook, too! Every element of this special meal was prepared to perfection. I still owe her a meal out, but it won't match this one!

In the card below Judy tells me I have the key to her heart and that she loves me. I knew that, but it is emphasized by the fact that this is the key to her beloved '64 Plymouth--which, in its day, could rip up some asphalt on Murdocksville Road and go airborne crossing Joe's Fork Bridge (before the highway department smoothed out the bump)!

Delectable delights.

Come closer. Look, but don't touch. And don't TASTE, either!

Perfect parfait. That's a description and a translation!

Heartfelt lovey-dovey cards and the evening's menu.

I slipped up in failing to take a photo of the red roses. Amazingly, they were still beautiful after our week in Atlanta, and for most of the week after we got back. The house was cool enough to mimic refrigeration.

Following the meal, I did have a very small surprise for Judy. I had recorded on my keyboard a song I used to "croon" to her (like Rudy Vallee) when we were courting umpteen years ago. That special song was "I Only Have Eyes for You." I sang it to her (and she didn't even laugh). As the interlude began, I invited Judy to dance (my Mama and Daddy were dancers, but not moi). It was very nice. And here's a little trivia for you. February 14 is always our "half-year" anniversary, since we were married on August 14. This Valentine's Day marked 32 and 1/2 years with my sweetheart.

Well, that's all I've got to say about that. Next post will probably be about reading and pre-schoolers. Get psyched!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, you two are so sweet. I loved this post.

-Kaitlin