Saturday, February 28, 2009

Winter Weather Advisory and Three ZINGERS

First things first. I'm keeping the snow picture at the top of my blog because it ain't spring yet. Ever since Judy noted an evil smirk on Greg Fishel's (our TV 5 weather geek) face about a week ago, we knew another snow forecast was on the horizon. We kept watching the revisions in temp and precip as the week went along, and by Friday they let the cat out of the bag. If you're anywhere in the southeast you might get a taste of the coming snowfall. We hope for a lot but will settle for pretty and white. After all, this will be our third snow of the season, by far the best in a long time! Slide and glide safely and we'll try to do the same.

Now, for the three promised ZINGERS.
  • Zinger #1: Last Sunday part of our discussion around the dinner table was about colonoscopies and endoscopies (well, what does your family discuss over dinner, praytell?). Anyway, I had a sudden epiphany. "Why don't they just say endoscopy and OTHER-ENDoscopy."
  • Zinger #2: At our Wednesday lunch of soup (cheese tortellini, courtesy of Amanda) and cheese toast (courtesy of Judy), I was diligently observing the birds at our feeder. There was one little bird that I kept thinking was a brown variety of chickadee, but I just had to look it up in my little Golden Guide to Birds of North America. Eureka! "It's a brown-headed nuthatch!" I announced jubilantly. "Dad," Amanda calmly responded, "I think you just described yourself." (I'm proud of you, Amanda!)
  • Zinger #3: Last night I was talking to Daddy on the phone. I mentioned that we might plant some early peas and lettuce this year and that we might go to a presentation at the Pinehurst Village Hall about garden insects and pests. Daddy didn't miss a beat. "Tell Judy if she wants to keep pests out of her garden just to tell you to keep out." OUCH!

There's no question that the Loyd humor, such as it is, crosses at least three generations. We may not get much out of our garden, but we Loyds always expect a good crop of corn!

2 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

What, snow?! Wasn't it like 75 degrees yesterday? How do they expect it to stick? Whatever the rationale, I hope they're right!

Cindy said...

Ha! Love the senses of humor at your home! You have to be able to laugh, ya know! Laughter doeth good, like a medicine.

I hope it snows knee high to a giraffe!