Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Highlights of Latest Atlanta Visit

I was thrilled to see the progress Mama had made since my last visit more than two weeks ago. Here are some highlights:
  • She gets dressed in her own clothes every day--and looks great!
  • She gets up in her wheelchair and spends most of her day sitting up, rather than lying down.
  • She spends most of her time outside her room, which is a large open area with sofa, comfortable chairs for family, and a PIANO!
  • She also eats lunch and dinner in the outer area--we call it the "family room". She's able to eat unassisted and is cleaning her plate consistently. Like all Loyds! She brags on the food, and especially enjoys desserts of pudding or the fruitcake cookies Buddy has supplied. Happily, Buddy has been playing for her and other residents's enjoyment before I visited and since my departure.
  • I got to spend many happy hours over several days playing old favorites, from hymns to childhood songs.
  • Mama successfully remembered how to play Solitaire. Didn't win her first game, but she played sharp--and we'll play some more on my next visit.
  • Caryn, Brantley, and Lindsey (my sister and nieces) visited on Saturday and we all did a lot of music for Mama.
  • I started reading an abridged version of Little Women to Mama, not sure if it would hold her interest. IT DID! We read several chapters Sunday afternoon, two more that evening, and Buddy read two more Monday after I had left. They're halfway through the book!
  • Mama pushes herself to improve on standing and walking when she has physical therapy. Daily, she set new records for distance. She impresses her therapists with her attitude and determination, and has also won the hearts of all her caregivers with her displays of love and appreciation. One night nurse said Mama told her, "Thank you for staying up all night just to take care of me!"

I still get to talk to Mama, Buddy, and Daddy by telephone daily, and I'm sure the great reports will keep coming until I can work out another visit. I did a couple of other special things on this visit that deserve posts of their own. Maybe tomorrow. . . or the next day. . . or . . .

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Grandma is so strong, and so cute! I love what she told the night nurse. It definitely fits her personality!

Ken Loyd said...

And Buddy told me at 1:30 that Grandma had walked TWICE as far TODAY as any time that I saw her!