Monday, November 16, 2009

Lost in Space-- Blogspace, that is. . .

Short blogs with no pictures demand large type. (Works for Wall Street ad men, anyway).



Okay, maybe that's a little TOO big. In explanation of the title, I have been away from blogging (as well as e-mail, Facebook, and the Internet in general) for one full week. Last Tuesday, I made the familiar trek to Atlanta to spend time with my dad, brother, and sister. Daddy is recovering from recent surgery and much to my delight made significant progress even during my short stay.



Of course, with Daddy and Buddy not having the Internet, I had several extra hours to do other fun stuff (bathroom scrubbing, gutters, leaf blowing and raking, and some heavy-duty recycling of old magazines and the like. Many cool treasures, broken toys, and old photographs were unearthed, too. All fun stuff. As Tom Sawyer would say, "What are you calling 'work'?"



I found a lucky penny Saturday morning in the parking area of Buddy's apartment. From that point on I led a charmed life. Made record time getting home with the lightest traffic in years. Got gas in Columbia for $2.33.9. (Don't those three periods look funny so close together?) UNC whipped Miami in football. Fifth straight ranked team UNC has defeated (now if we could only beat the Virginias, etc.). Sure we had some luck, but as they say, you make your own luck. And we're BOWL-BOUND, unlike some area teams I had better not mention.



Sunday morning, no lucky penny. After reluctantly delivering two e-mail messages, our Internet connection went crashing down with a thud. Except in cyberspace, where I was lost, that translates to total silence. People continued to send e-mails-- which I couldn't receive or respond to. People elsewhere were composing interesting blog posts which I couldn't read or comment on. Yes, not for the first time, I was "Lost in Blogspace."



All that is just a memory now. This morning a couple of really helpful and capable repairmen from CenturyLink (our phone and Internet provider--used to be Embarq, and Sprint, and Carolina Telephone) replaced an exposed ground line that was giving us a buzz. An unbearable buzz. One that made hearing or being heard well-nigh impossible. Once they left I still had to do a system restore to get the computer back where it should be. But that's done, and it's nice to be back. More news soon.

2 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Welcome back! Claire missed you!

Dawn said...

So did I, but I can't complain about time spent with your dad. Glad to hear he's doing well!