Friday, April 16, 2010

On the Blog Again

I know. I should be whipped with a wet noodle. Last blog post was April 3, the day before Easter. Much has kept me busy since then, but I was determined to blog today, before two full weeks could pass. I'm well-armed with excuses, but mainly-- I didn't get around to it!

Right after Easter, I headed to Atlanta for a visit with my brother and Dad. I had a wonderful time, including three evening singalong/recitals for Daddy and his friends. It was a blast and is sure to be a regular part of future visits.

I returned home to surprise visits from both Brianna and Claire. What joy! The following week (that's THIS week) I've had my hands full cutting grass, tilling the garden, moving the last loads of firewood from "the swamp" to the yard, and transforming the front porch from winter (woodpile) to spring (swing, rockers, toys). I like spring!

The following pictures are a sampling of other goings-on of late.

Our North Carolina nieces, Emma and Jessie, posed for a whole array of lovely Easter snapshots at Sandhills Horticultural Gardens.
Near where I have been cutting wood, I discovered a sizable patch of wild irises. Judy and I walked down to see them and found even more. Sometimes I enjoy the unexpected things more than those I know about in advance.

I expect other new flowers in the coming weeks, along with butterflies, more birds, and so on. That's what Spring's all about.


Judy and I made a belated visit to her Grandma McKenzie's house, where the arbor of wisteria has been in bloom for several days.
One of the most historic houses in Moore County, its rustic beauty is accentuated by the hanging floral display.

If this were my house, the wisteria would have already taken over the roof and be growing down the chimney and through the cracks in the pine floor. My wisteria is very unruly. But Grandma McKenzie's seems to know its boundaries, and adheres to them year after year.

Somehow, I took no pictures when playing with Brianna Wednesday afternoon, but we had the MOST fun. We're always making up new games nowadays.
I DID remember to snap a few when we spent a couple of hours with Claire, however. Note that every expression is unique. Jennifer has placed many on her blog, and I don't think I've ever seen two "looks" that are identical.

"Got any good baby gossip, Grandma?"

"Brianna did WHAT!?"
"That is so RICH! We girls simply must get together more often!"

"Okay, Grandpa. GUYS, too. Sometimes, at least."
"I kinda like this cherry flavored one."

"Of course, the blueberry is quite good, too. And I hear it has lots of anti-oxidants."

I'm a long way from having next winter's woodpile complete, but I have hauled everything I've cut down in "the swamp" up to my backyard woodlot.

Most of the logs I hauled need only to be cut in half to be stove length. About half of it is large enough to need splitting.

It's nice to be temporarily ahead on next year's wood supply. You can never have TOO much firewood!
And of course, it's nice to be blogging again. You can never blog TOO much! Thanks for dropping in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back! I'd love to hear more about Grandma McKenzie's house. Please write a blog post about it!
-Kate

Jimmy said...

Welcome Back..I missed my updates :)