Tuesday, March 8, 2011

High Times in Hotlanta

The first week of March was a wonderful one for me, as I visited Daddy, brother Buddy, and sister Caryn and her family.  Daddy doesn't look a day over 96.  In fact, he won't be 97 until May 14.  When he turns 100 in 2014, I'll be on Social Security and Daddy's two great-granddaughters will be in kindergarten.


One thing that has become a tradition during my visits over the last year is the nightly singalongs and concerts I share with the residents.  It is great fun for me as well as the listeners.  We do anything from the 1890's to the 1970's.  Almost nothing more recent.  Rap, heavy metal, and hiphop are my weak areas.


My friends were delighted to meet Chipper, who was dressed in his Tar Heel basketball jersey for this week.  Very appropriate in light of the huge Carolina victory over Dook the day we returned to North Carolina.  Senior citizens love Chipper as much as my third graders once did.  They shake his hand, hug him, or start up a conversation.  And he loves it.

One resident's puppy also seemed to enjoy the program.  At least he didn't complain to me.

This lovely couple, John and Mary, are Daddy's best friends in this home.  They are wonderful encouragers and invaluable friends to all.  Mary still looks forward to the day she and Daddy will dance.  Daddy's doing so well, it seems a realistic goal.  Both John and Mary have fascinating life stories.

The music over our three evenings spanned the whole spectrum of eclectic music I love.  Turn-of-the-century singalong songs (1900), Roaring '20's, Big Band, show tunes, humorous ditties, fast stuff, slow stuff, sentimental pieces, and pops from every decade up through the 70's.  The old keyboard is holding up pretty well for all the miles it has on it.  A couple of sticking keys, but that's true of myself, too (and I've got a few miles on me, too).

Daddy and Caryn's family got front row seats and were celebrities on Friday night (Daddy was guest of honor every night).

It thrills me to look out on a room full of smiles as I play songs that touch these folks' golden memories.  And it touches me to see virtually every mouth moving when we sing songs of their youth.  Nothing wrong with their memories-- if you know which chords to strike.  Truly, music is a special language given to us by God, and it speaks most powerfully to the very young and the very old.  Because sometimes it's their only language.  But through it their deepest feelings can be expressed and joy awakened.

Daddy and I didn't spend all our time doing music.  We talked about family history, the Atlanta Braves, and the great-grandchildren.  The weather cooperated for us to visit the gardens which are just starting to emerge.  Daddy loves to check the goldfish pond on nice days. 

Surroundings like these are food for the soul and will lift everyone's spirits, residents and visitors alike.

In the past couple of months, a re-invigorated Daddy has been getting up for breakfast and participating in whatever recreational activities were on tap for the mornings.  He's a star at ball tossing.  Even though he's legally blind, he demonstrates textbook form on the overhead pass.  And the wheelchair was no impediment to him bowling a strike in this photo.

Recreation was interrupted by a nice lady with her pet cockatoo.  Do you think Daddy was pleased with this bird's attention?  This 23 year old bird had impeccable manners, perching on Daddy's shoulder and walking behind his head to the other shoulder.  No accidents.

Can't end this blog without some captions.
Pick your favorite or make up your own.
*  "Are you the guest we're having for dinner?  I hope so."
*  "Now, could you scratch just a little higher, please?"
*  "That's the first new joke I've heard since I've been living here.  Good one."
*  "A big white bird on my shoulder?  And you say I've been hallucinating?"
*  "Ken, you'd better take a picture of this or they'll never believe it."

And so I did.
Like I said, a wonderful visit.  Every minute of it is imprinted in my memory.

No comments: