Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Back to School Primer



One thing my mother would NEVER allow was for me to be TARDY for school. But here in Moore County, North Carolina, there have already been two days of school and I’m just now composing my “Back to School” blog. So I apologize for my tardiness, but I wish a happy, tear-free opening of the new school year to all my student, parent, and teacher readers. And believe me, I know all of those groups might have reason to shed a few tears.




But I went from being a student who passionately dis-liked school to a teacher who loved school. That doesn’t mean I liked getting up before 6 a.m. or grading papers till 11 p.m. or planning lessons on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. But I got an incredible return on everything I put into the job. And my philosophy that you can turn work into play was what allowed to me enjoy it even at the end of my 33rd year. Every wonderful hour spent with our grandchildren is like a small, informal learning laboratory. And I’m learning as much as they are.

Now, before I stray too far from my topic, I want to share some words of encouragement for the educators carrying the most important work of our society: preparing our next generation to sustain and improve the world we brought them into.

“Great schools are the result of great cooperation. Let’s remember that it takes both the white and the black keys of the piano to play ‘The Star-Spangled Banner.’” ~ Anonymous



“Any time you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.” ~ Alex Haley

“Teach your students to use what talents they have. The woods would be silent if no bird sang except those that sing best.” ~ Anonymous



“There are three things to remember when teaching: know your stuff, know whom you are stuffing, and then stuff them elegantly.” ~ Lola May

“The world is a great university. From the cradle to the grave we are always in God’s great kindergarten, where everything is trying to teach us its lesson.” ~ O. S. Marden



“Teaching that impacts is not head-to-head but Heart-to-Heart.” ~ Howard G. Hendricks

God bless you all in your challenges and successes this year.



No comments: