Friday, September 11, 2009

Fun, Games, and BOOKS at Children's Choir

I'm on my third decade of working with the children's choir at Beulah Hill now, and even if the faces change and the "times" change, there are some things that don't change. There's nothing like the sheer exuberance of uninhibited young'uns singing old favorites like "This Little Light of Mine," "Do Lord," or "I'm in the Lord's Army." I could name about three dozen more. At least. But I won't.

My current troup of "King's Kids" is "happy and they know it." They're sweet, pleasant, and cooperative. They don't put tacks on my keyboard seat or hide my music (that wouldn't stop me, anyway). They'll try almost anything, EVEN IF a video camera is trained on them.

So to put them to the test, I taught them words AND movements (that translates to "dance", but don't tell anybody) to "King of Kings and Lord of Lords." I've known the song forever, but for the motions I have to give credit to Amanda. In her early years we attended a family Bible conference every summer at Mars Hill College near Asheville. The music director taught this version of the song to Amanda and the other children. And ever since, whenever I want to teach it to a group I rely on Amanda to refresh my memory on just how it's done.


Now, enjoy the video!


We sang a bunch of other songs, but at the end of choir practice I let the children play a little indoor shuffleboard. "Fling it, Jessie!"

Emma has the soft touch.

And what final surprise could be hidden under the mystery cloth?
This week I had a fresh supply of books of every description. Each one was looking for the perfect owner. Every child was allowed to claim two to add to their personal library. Many more will be offered in the future. Good readers make good singers. Well. . . that's just a theory.
If you're in need of some great Christian songs for children let me know. And if you need a good book for some special child, you know who to call!

No comments: