Friday, December 18, 2009

Blogging while waiting for SNOW!

Yeah, I know. I could be waiting for a long time if I'm waiting for snow in the Sandhills of North Carolina. But I'm not gonna blog that long!
I thought I'd update you on what has been a busy December for me. So far it has included the following, among others:
  • Christmas meeting and party of Moore County's NCRSP (North Carolina Retired School Personnel)
  • Christmas singalong at Sandhills Farm Life School


  • Christmas banquet at Grace Church for volunteers (Judy) and spouses (lucky me)
  • Volunteering at Moore Regional Hospital--Christmas piano music

  • Christmas dinner and party at Golden Corral for my Men's Sunday School Class
  • Reading "Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace" to 4th graders

  • Reading "Mystery at the Loyd Homeplace" to Daddy (over a 4 day visit)

  • Spending the rest of my visit with Daddy seeing Buddy and Caryn, going through old keepsakes, and playing a little music for Daddy

  • Christmas worship service at Manor Care Rehab of Pinehurst

  • Christmas singalong with Ray at Manor Care (best attendance yet)

  • Family get-together with Joy

  • Quality time with the grandbabies (I stopped counting)

  • Went with Judy on a Christmas light tour of Village Acres (don't laugh, locals--there was a little bit of everything and it took 45 minutes. We were never more than 2 miles from home.)

  • Watched "It's a Wonderful Life." I never get tired of it and it always inspires me.

There's a lot more to come during the closing days of December. I'll post a few pictures just to jazz up this post a bit.

I had the privilege of providing Christmas music before, during, and after our NCRSP meeting. My pal Chipper has on his Santa suit.

Sandi and Jane, two energetic souls who keep us retirees moving.
Besides our singalong, our get-together included a Christmas card swap and a White Elephant sale which benefits our scholarship fund.

Back on the home front, Claire tries to get everyone to help her on "Feliz Navidad."

Brianna has developed an attachment for my wooden Nutcracker ornament. She says, "Just cooperate and nobody gets hurt."

Judy's Christmas cactus has really thrived on our dining room table. It started blooming around Thanksgiving. We were told we couldn't kill it, and that seems to be the case.

When I retired, I brought home a lot of my extra yard sale ornaments from school. Some of them are among my favorites. And of course, they're eclectic. Anyway, I started decorating this "Charlie Brown" tree that has volunteered beside our driveway. If it keeps going it could be an indoor tree one year. If I don't cut it in 2 or 3 years it'll block our driveway.

Judy and I searched diligently around the countryside and located an appropriate Eastern Red Cedar for our indoor tree. Even though it's nine feet tall, it's sort of a Charlie Brown tree, too. That's our kind of tree.

Well, I'm at the end of this post, and all the snow is still up in the air. But you never know. If any of it ever reaches the ground, I'll post a photo or two in my next blog post. I hope each of my readers is celebrating Christmas each day in a way that brings joy to you, strengthens your family bonds, and honors our Lord, Jesus.

No comments: