Thursday, December 17, 2009

Family Times = Good Times

These "Family Times" are specifically Thanksgiving, 2009 and the Short Family Reunion, 2009. Let your mind drift back some three weeks . . .



Thanksgiving Day, 2009. Jennifer and Matt, Emma and Jessie, trying to tell Claire about the first Thanksgiving.



"Whaddaya mean," says Claire. " This is the first Thanksgiving."




Stephen say, "Brianna, today you'll learn about the strong connection between Mommy's family and the word turkey."



Amanda says, "I know this isn't my baby, but at least she's A baby."
"We'd take 'em both home, but I think Jenn and Matt might have something to say about that."

Jessie proudly displays one of my mother's aprons which was passed along to her. She looks the part of a chef, doesn't she. A Pilgrim? Not so much.
Guess what this is. Nope. Not Thanksgiving dinner. I was so busy snapping photos of people I didn't get one shot of the Turkey Day meal. And once I started chowing down, I don't recall picking up the camera again.

So, this is part of the spread TWO DAYS after Thanksgiving at the Short Family Reunion.
It all took place in the Southern Pines Civic Club, near the town park.
Judy's Aunt Helen displays a beautiful plate which depicts the entire Short family tree. Even two little apples way down under the tree. I'll give ya two guesses as to who they might be.
I did dual duty of documenting the array of fine vittles and guarding the same.

Here's the part of our little branch that was available for the reunion.
Amanda wonders, "When will I get to hold my baby again."
Judy's dad, Jack, with siblings Elaine, Sandra, and Helen. Meanwhile in the background, Amanda has reclaimed Brianna.

Helen's family, the Allens, has by far the largest representation this day. The rest of us have some catching up to do.

Todd and Amy are glad we're near the park. Someone else looks happy, too.
Jack and Thelma Short-- Judy's parents, Amanda, Brianna, Judy, and Ken (me)
Dickie and Beverly are plotting something with Sandra. We may not find out what until next year.

Some of the younger generation could really get into this "reunion" thing. Not just for old folks.

Reunions are for sharing, fellowshipping, eating, and negotiating.
Judy cautions Scott and Sandra,"I won't tell everything I know if you won't tell everything you know."


And that makes for a happy reunion.

No comments: