Monday, August 6, 2012

Evan and Claire, Superheroes

When Judy and I arrived at Claire and Evan's
house Friday we were greeted by a couple
of superheroes.  At least that's what they
are to us.  Here's one Spiderman, alias Evan.

Joined by Spiderman #2, alias Claire, and 
cousin Riley, the heroes pursue  Ron-Ron.
I think his alias is Doc Ock.  Ask the kids.

Things settle down a little before lunch.
But not much.
Evan: "Do you think I need the gallon or
half-gallon jug for both legs?"

Claire tries to coordinate a piano trio with
herself, baby, and Spiderman.

It becomes a quartet when "Maestro Evan" 
joins in.  At least he's mastered the serious
countenance of a virtuoso.

When the weather cooperates, we hit the
circuit of neighborhood parks.  Here in 
Aberdeen Evan shows us how to drive.

The Seven Seconds of Terror!

The kids love the fountain in the middle
of Aberdeen Lake.  But we try to keep them
on this side of the fence!

It's on to Pinehurst's Camelot Park, in my 
opinion the best free park in the western world.
Evan loves the bouncy bridge.

But he and Claire should know that no one
can stand when Big Billy Goat Gruff bounces
across the bridge.

The wooden swinging bridge is just as
enticing.  Nice lead-up to the one at
Grandfather Mountain-- which I wouldn't
even LOOK at when I was his age.

Methinks Robin Hood and Little John
are about to have a confrontation.

Both of the children are into big kid swings.
Naturally, they're going opposite directions.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Evan shows 
us how you can see through a straw cowboy
hat.  He goes bumping around the house with
no injuries.

Removable cushions open up a whole 
world of construction possibilities.  Daddy
will be so proud.

What do you mean, which one is stronger?

Sorry, Spidey, but a challenge is a challenge.

Cushion bridges are for going over, under,
around, or through.

Those who play hard also crash hard.
But he was ready to go again in no time.

Judy and I were astonished at how ably
Claire assisted with this 100 piece Spiderman
puzzle.  I had gotten it last week in Atlanta
for 60 cents and was eager to show it to her
(not wanting to wait until she turns 5).
I filled in the border during her nap and then
Judy and I took turns facilitating.  She was 
really good at putting faces and bodies together,
and didn't get frustrated either.  We'll do it again!

Oh, there's so much we did that pictures
can't show.  Sometimes I put the camera
away.  But when I spotted this rainbow,
I just had to interrupt bedtime stories and 
take Claire outside.  She said it was the first
real rainbow she had seen, and Jennifer later
confirmed this.  In fact (so cute) the next night
she asked Matt to take her outside at bedtime
to see if the rainbow was still there.  Glad
I've got pictures!
If you have any doubt where the proverbial
Pot o' Gold lies for me and Judy, you haven't
been paying attention!


1 comment:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Great pictures and great blog! The weekend was a win-win-win; I don't know who enjoyed it the most. Let's do it again soon! Haha. Love you!