Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas in Southern Pines, Part Two

This blog is a continuation of my first 
(scroll down to view) about our Southern
Pines Christmas celebration.  Let the
fun begin-- again.
Bri's guitar is "the best present ever"-- like
most of her presents!

Hunter is fascinated with (but not scared by)
his Jack-in-the-Box.  What an inspired gift! 

Judy and I gave both Hunter and Evan "crash-'em
trucks."  The trucks go to pieces when they
 ram into any immovable object.
Just encouraging their natural tendencies.

For Claire, the anticipation of a gift is almost as
good as knowing what's inside.

Claire tries out the spectacles that came in her
"book," "My Granny's Purse."

Bri opens her teeny tiny writing journal.
"It's the best present ever!"
See, I told ya.

And she immediately sets out to record
the events of this occasion.  I think.

Claire is crazy about her new scooter.
Vehicles figured greatly in her Christmas.

Off into the sunset.  But she'll be back.

Did Santa Claus come?  Yes, he did!

Hunter stretches out for a mini-break.  Not a nap!

Evan says, "This looks like fun.  I think I'll join you."

Toys are momentarily forgotten as the
boys just enjoy having each other around.

Build a bridge and I'll crawl under.

Helpful big sister Claire instructs Evan on
the new magnetic fishing game.
Hunter: "Wow, I can write and I didn't even know it!"
It's worth noting in these final photos that
once again, toys take a back seat to the 
creative play with ordinary things that
surround us all the time.  I'm so glad the
kids can enjoy the simple things.
A rocking chair can be as much fun as a rocking
 horse. Again, it's all in how you hold your tongue.

While Granddaddy cautions Hunter not to get his
head stuck, Hunter tries to do just that.  Ah, childhood!


Don't these youngsters look just like a couple of
old-timers?

While Claire and Evan sing one of their Christmas
songs for the grownups, Bri has her own little quiet
playtime with Granny's nativity scene.  And nothing
was broken!


"C'mon Claire," says Hunter.
"Let's make this bronco buck!"
(In fact, "C'mon" is one of Hunter's favorite directives.)

There just have to be more ways to sit in this chair.

Evan's favorite playmate of all is DADDY!

Bri in her lovely Christmas outfit thinks
outside the box with a footstool.
I wish I could still do that.
This wonderful annual event at Granny and Granddaddy's
confirms for me that even though Christmas is for all of us,
it's especially wondrous for children.

No comments: