Thursday, January 10, 2013

More from Mr. Loyd's Hobbit Archives

In this post I'd like to share some
of my favorite memorabilia from
my class activities involving The Hobbit.

Yes, Susannah, our friendship
has continued as you prophesied.


The above Hobbit Word Search and
Crossword Puzzle were not assignments.
They were created by highly motivated
students who were having fun with learning.
Here's some of the art I did along
with my students after we completed
reading the book. 
Bilbo uses Sting to battle the giant spiders of Mirkwood.

Gandalf decapitates the Great Goblin in his
rescue of Thorin's party in the vast halls beneath
the Misty Mountains.

This map is my attempt to replicate
the one in Tolkien's book.

Pay close attention to the ancient runes.

Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks
and the last light of the setting sun on Durin's
Day will shine upon the keyhole.

That's what the runes say.

Not that I know the ancient runes, but 
Tolkien didn't just make them up. Read
it for yourself.

And if you want some fun, refer back
to my map and translate for yourself.
I am pleased to have Gandalf's sword
Glamdring in my collection.  I was 
allowed to bring it to school for one 
very special occasion each year--
the day I read the chapter about the
finding of that sword among troll treasure.

Just a few years later, one of my special
classes presented me with an authentic
Sting of my very own.  And it glows when
orcs are nearby.  I think . . . .

I got this specialty version of Risk at a 
yard sale and one of my classes devised
a way for the entire class to play it.

Here is the map of Middle Earth.

And here are the armies that vie for
dominion of Middle Earth.


Thanks to master craftsman Kevin Cagle
of Carthage, I have this amazing portrayal
of Bilbo Baggins blowing smoke rings in
front of his little Hobbit hole at Bag End,
Underhill.  Kevin and his two sons Addison
and Brett surprised me with this gift, a
prize of my Hobbit collection.

Believe it or not, there is more to share.
At least one more blog, possibly more!

No comments: