Friday, January 11, 2013

You know someone who has a 1938 edition of "The Hobbit"

Not only do I have a 1938 edition
of The Hobbit ...


. . . I got it at a yard sale!
Honestly.

The following info was on the internet
five years ago.  Haven't checked recently,
but mine is not for sale.
Below are all the illustrations from
the 1938 edition, the first American
edition.  Interestingly, the American
edition featured illustrations by the
author himself, including four color
plates.  My favorites are the eagles and
of course, Smaug, the dragon.












I have read that Tolkien had a
strong preference for the red-gold
dragon as opposed to the green dragons
of ancient lore.  

Though I don't especially love
Tolkien's artistic style, I am thrilled
to have one of only 5,000 copies
from that first printing.

No comments: