Friday, May 14, 2010

BOOGER ALERT! (Yes, Debi, this means you!)

Just a few days ago I was gently admonished to give plenty of warning if any SNAKE pictures (boogers) were to appear in this blog. Well, here's your warning. Keep your eyes open.

"We've been called a lot of things, but 'boogers'? Never!"


"I've looked under every log in this woodpile, and trust me, there are no snakes here."

"Our boogers are with their Daddies."

"Hey, I resemble that remark!"

"I'm on booger patrol, but no boogers here."

"Do we look like boogers to you?"

But we're getting closer. . . .
Judy's watering the garden. Uh, what's that amongst the beans?

This lovely specimen is none other than a Corn Snake, or Red Rat Snake. Just look at those beautiful markings.

It's a close cousin of the Black Rat Snake that paid us a visit last week. In appearance they look nothing alike, but their diet and habits are similar.

Like all snakes, this one is carnivorous, so none of our vegetables are in danger. This snake is easily confused with non-poisonous water snakes and with poisonous copperheads. But it tames so easily it is one of the most popular choices for pet snakes.

I could have easily caught this one or the Black Rat Snake last week, but I'm not interested in taking away their freedom. Few creatures thrive in captivity, and who knows where they were headed when they passed through our yard?
If they want to show their appreciation, they can just help keep the pest population down in our garden. Whether you call 'em snakes, serpents, or plain old boogers, Judy and I plan to go by the old adage, "Live and let live." I wonder what kind our next snake visitor will be. Hmmm.

No comments: