Friday, May 28, 2010

Local Litter Revisited

Way back on January 9 I posted a blog called "CSI Meets Keep America Beautiful." The subject was the litter problem in my own little Murdocksville, NC community. And I know it's typical of many communities, both urban and rural. The litter problem is an epidemic with complex causes and no simple solutions.

The Justice League of America says, "We don't litter, and you shouldn't either."

Brianna and Claire say, "Hey, we don't litter. We may strew toys everywhere, leaving a wave of baby destruction in our paths, but we're totally Green."

Well, several months have passed, and the news is not that encouraging. In a stretch of the Murdocksville Road about one-eighth of a mile long beginning at my house, I gathered the following assortment in less than 30 minutes.

This is not a scientific study, since I don't know how long some of the litter has been there, but I've picked up roadside trash in that stretch a few more times since January, and lots of this haul was new.
I didn't take time to categorize and catalog this batch, but there's a real pots-pourri of yucky stuff. Stuff other people didn't want to deal with, so they decided to "gift" some innocent strangers. These folks must be real sticklers for keeping their vehicles neat as a pin on the inside. If only they were as caring about their community and other people's property.


I won't get into the CSI analysis this time. There seems to be a lot of fast food packaging and all sorts of beverage containers. Stuff the perpetrators just don't want in their own garbage cans or other repository. It's not like we're asking them to make a special trip to the landfill: just BE RESPONSIBLE! Please. : )

There is some evidence of repeat offenders. Marlboro Man (or woman) hasn't kicked the habit yet (many empty packs found). Someone favors Newports (3 boxes). You can identify most of this assemblage yourself.

I don't know the significance, but I found three empty tins of Grizzly Snuff. Wintergreen makes it more palatable for his "sweetie," I'm sure.

I would have suspected that people who were proactive about their own health would also care about the health of their environment. So I was a little surprised to find water bottles and green tea fraternizing with the beer cans and sodas.

And what self-respecting Starbucks customer would like to be known as a litterbug? It just doesn't fit their profile. But you can't argue with the evidence.

One bit of good news. By the time I removed all the plastic, aluminum, paper, and cardboard, only this non-recyclable trash remained. So at least 50% of what I picked up will be recycled.

Still, that's a grossly ineffecient way to recycle. Toss it out the vehicle window near the home of a known recycler (aka Green Party member, Sierra Club member, environmental wacko, goody two-shoes, etc.). Let them deal with it. (???)
No, I don't think so. Let's all clean up our own mess! And keep your road, your county, your state, and OUR America Beautiful! Thank you!

No comments: