Monday, July 12, 2010

Singin' and Swayin' at Watch Me Grow

School may be out for the summer, but recently I was invited back to Watch Me Grow for an encore singalong with a group of summer campers. Watch Me Grow is the daycare right beside our house and I hope to volunteer frequently in the years ahead.

We had some open space in the lunchroom so we could add some movement to our music.

"Hey there, baby, you're a real cool cat,
Ya got a lot of this, and ya got a lot of that,
So come on in, and GET DOWN!"


"I'm gonna shake, shake, shake my sillies out. . ."

"I'm gonna jump, jump, jump my jiggles out
and wiggle my waggles away."
We even sang Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer-- in the middle of the summer!

Then came everybody's favorite: FREEZE DANCING!

Gotta freeze when the music stops!

Ken's rules-- nobody's out!

But ya gotta SMILE!

The end of a good freeze dance is time for a change of pace.

I chose a great new favorite book of mine, "Molly Whuppie." Molly is a sharp thinking mountain gal cut from the same cloth as Jack of the famed "Jack Tales," another of my all-time favorites.

Here's a sample of two giants having a little disagreement, instigated by Molly:
Molly cut loose with a rock. That rock hit that meat, knocked it clean off
the giant's fork, and sent it a-flying. Which caused the giant to jab his
own chin with a pitchfork and holler he was killed. "I'm kilt!" he
hollered. So the very next thing he did was start looking around for
somebody to blame it on. He looked up and saw his brother over there, so
he blamed it on him. "What did you go and do that for?" he asked
him. "I'll come over there and smack the fire out of you!" That's
one thing about a giant. They cannot settle any kind of a dispute in a
reasonable manner. Any little disagreement comes up, they get in a
splutterment over it. Splutterment escalates to upscuddle, and next thing
you know the fur's a-flying.
I've already got an invite to return before the end of summer, and I'm looking forward to it. A few new songs, a little more freeze dancing, a couple more tales, and a whole lot of fun!

No comments: