Thursday, July 15, 2010

VBS at Beulah Hill, part I

Beulah Hill Baptist Church's annual Vacation Bible School was a one-day affair this year. We've had good success with this abbreviated but intensive strategy. Our theme was The Circle J Ranch-- "J" for "Jesus." Get it?

After opening assembly our classes scattered to a variety of activities. Jim and Marcie taught the cowpokes a variety of songs in the comfort of the sanctuary. They would later share the songs with all of us at our closing ceremony.

Greg and Tim had the youth class. Their ingenious first lesson had the class marching around the church building like the children of Israel marching around Jericho. "Getting tired?" Greg queries. "Well the Israelites got tired, too, but they were obedient to God and persevered, winning a great victory.

While some of the classes were away, I peeked at their cowboy theme decor. Yup, pardner, that's a real saddle. My horse? Well, it's in the shop. Somebody said the Gang That Couldn't Build Fences Straight had been here. But to me it looks pretty authentic-- fer paper. After all, in the old west they couldn't run to Home Depot for fencing.

This campsite was complete with campfire. Just needed some coyotes and maybe an Indian attack.

I figgered this wuz the bunkhouse. But I never saw nobody that had time fer a nap.

Cowboy altar. You can get real close to God out on the prairie, sleepin' under the stars. Or wherever else you might happen to be. He's right there, ya know.

My faithful sidekick Chipper accompanied me and helped lead the VBS pledges. After years of doing theme-appropriate attire in my school class, now he goes with me to daycares, nursing homes, the hospital, libraries, and such. For today, he was nicknamed "Buffalo Chipper."

(About 3 people got the joke-- did you?)
Cowboy stuff adorned the sanctuary altar, too. I love the figurine in the middle that has a small child sitting on the saddle in front of the woman. That's how our children learn best, and it exemplified the spirit of VBS.

Because I was in charge of recreation, most of my pictures center around the outdoor activities.
Here's a simple, fun game of strategy called Hunker Hawser. It's a two-person tug-o-war that doesn't rely on strength. Your clever use of the rope can trick your opponent into falling or touching the ground. Dalton, who assisted me all morning, and Jackson demonstrate the advanced techniques required.

Ashley demonstrates real style with the jumprope.
She may need to try out for the Bouncing Bulldogs (see my recent Transplant blog post).
Some of you surely recognize Judy's dependable truck in the background. For today, it was a "packhorse," toting my vast arsenal of play equipment and games.

Emma is the junior stilt-walking champion. In fact, no one else can come close to her skill. You'll see the senior champion in an upcoming post.

Kendall has mastered hula hooping in both traditional and non-traditional styles. Hard to believe how easy that once seemed, but when I try it now, the hoop twirls about three times between my waist and the ground. I can still spin it on my arm or fling it for a boomerang, though.
Besides Hunker Hawser, traditional tug-o-wars were popular with the oldest class. They tried a couple with boys against girls, but found it a little more interesting when they started choosing teams, seeing how different combinations competed.

When they were starting to get blisters, I thought the time was right to introduce "Man Overboard." This is a game I invented when I was teaching, and you can easily play at home, with a handful of players, about ages 9 to adult. Take some old sweatpants, stuff them old socks, rags, t-shirts, or what-have-you. Have one of the stronger players fling the "Man" high into the air. As it hurtles toward the earth (or "ocean") players try to catch (rescue) him before he touches the ground.

What I love about this game is that it's non-competitive, but highly motivating. There are no points, no winners or losers-- just action and fun. Younger kids can certainly participate. They may not be able to throw the "body" very high, but love to try. And they may not succeed in catching it, but they'll make the effort. Their greatest danger is getting trampled by the enthusiastic older kids. I'll probably blog about some more fun cooperation games in the future. They're so valuable and cultivate all the right things.
Thus ends my first blog post about VBS. I plan two more (though Blogger.com has given me a hard time loading pics lately). If you've seen enough, politely skip those. I'll be on to other topics of general interest soon.
HAPPY TRAILS, PARDNERS!

No comments: