Friday, July 23, 2010

VBS at Beulah Hill, Part III

Well, this is it. It took me from Saturday till Monday to load my final 12 VBS photos, but it looks like I'm gonna make it. Not sure how many of my readers have stuck with me through this waiting game, but I promise a little more variety in the next couple of blog posts-- if I can download pictures!

If you have watched many old western movies, you know that every western town had a "hoosegow" or "calaboose" where lawbreakers were routinely locked up. That is, if the town had a sheriff or marshall who could round up the varmints. Well in our old west VBS the rec director (Mr. Ken) decided it might be a good idea to "lay down the law." Here, Dalton shows off our outdoor jail cell for anyone who might get too frisky on the playground. (Not really-- this is our storage place for mops, propane tanks, and firewood. I'm a benevolent sheriff of the rec area)


These three lovable rascals-- Thomas, Nicholas, and Joshua-- are in search of adventure. No hoosegow for them. Even though they're "kids," they are not like Billy the Kid.

Candace assists Ashley with the challenging stilts. Luckily, I exceeded the weight limit and didn't have to embarrass myself by trying!
When you have more Hot Wheels cars than you can count (or ever dreamed of), what better to do than have a Demolition Derby! WHEE!

On the other hand, some unique children, when left to their own devices, display a sense of order many adults lack. Thomas has a system of arranging these cars which exhibits highly developed organizational skills. Could he be the future computer programmer or economic wizard that saves us all from disaster? Or perhaps he's just be happier working with NASCAR.

Nobody needs to make up games for Ashlyn. Here, she is lovingly feeding her baby birds (just because we can't see them doesn't mean they're not there). And that may look like pinestraw, but she assured me it was hay. When it was time to go in she tenderly ran back here to gather her babies.

At the noon hour everyone was ready for the special lunch-- 25 pizzas provided by Bob Newcomer of Bob's Pizza. Everything from single toppings to Bob's famous 'Round the World. This crowd may look patient, but you should have seen them three seconds after the blessing!

In fact, it took all my willpower to stand back and take this picture instead of elbowing past some folks to break in line.

Even the table settings reflected our cowboy/western theme. I just wonder if someone borrowed that boot from our pastor.

Speaking of whom, meet my pastor, Dr. Curtis Barbery. If Roy Rogers was King of the Cowboys, Pastor Barbery is King of the Old-Time Gospel Preachers. And you won't find him without a pair of boots!
The fitting end to the day was a worship time in which the children shared all the songs Jim and Marcie had taught them.

Then, a timely evangelical message that even the youngest children could understand was offered by Pastor Barbery. I believe it provided the mortar to bind together the scriptures and lessons the children had studied all day. These children are very dear to the pastor, and he has often related that it is largely for them that he continues to preach well beyond typical retirement age. And we adults are thankful for that, as well.
All in all, it was a great day of VBS. Dozens of other VBS's have already taken place or are continuing across our county, and even the nation, and I pray that much spiritual fruit will abound wherever the laborers are presenting the gospel.
I feel sure many of my readers have positive memories of VBS experiences in the recent or distant past. I think VBS is a summer tradition that should be cherished, even as we explore new ways to make it helpful to families and relevant to our children.

No comments: