Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ken Loves BANNED BOOKS!

I'm a little late on this blog post, but I've been thinking about it for a while.  September 25 through Oct. 2 was the American Library Association's annual Banned Books Week.

AARP published their own list in honor of the occasion, and I found I had read quite a number.  I intended to read even more.  Chances are, you've read several, too.   From their list of 50, here are some of mine:

Animal Farm
1984
The Grapes of Wrath
Doctor Zhivago
Slaughterhouse Five
Jaws
The Prince of Tides
The Lord of the Rings (X 3; it's a trilogy)
Harry Potter series (X 7; it's a septology) ???
Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Scarlet Letter
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Gone With the Wind
The Catcher in the Rye
Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Clockwork Orange
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Some books on the AARP list I intended to read, but never have, include:
Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises
The Diary of Anne Frank (I've read portions, but not all)
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (How did I retire without reading that kid's favorite-- I know most of my students had heard it read)

Banned or not, reading a good book is one of my many favorite pastimes in retirement.  I wonder if I'll ever get to read The Hobbit to my grandchildren.  They'd have to move in for 2 or 3 weeks.  OKAY, IT'S A DEAL!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We celebrate banned book week in October. Our students really enjoy looking at the title and the reasons the books are banned. The children's book, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, was banned. Try figuring out why. As a librarian it is not my job to dictate a persons reading material. I am like our students, it is very interesting what people think is inappropriate.