Wednesday, March 7, 2012

77th Annual Highfalls Old-Time Fiddlers' Convention

 This coming Saturday, March 10,
the Highfalls Fiddlers' Convention
will be held at North Moore High School.
It's great family fun and a tradition for
77 years and counting.  

As you can see from this year's
flyer (click it to enlarge), there is
a wide variety of categories.  I would
say there's something for everybody,
but that might be an overstatement.
I have participated every year since I
retired in 2008, and have enjoyed seeing
the wide range of talented performers.
There is a mix of bands and individuals,
plus cloggers.  The whole shebang is
for young and old.


Below is the piano I learned on,
starting in 1959.  It was a clunker, but
it served its purpose well.  Especially
since its quality lent itself to a honky tonk
style, which my brother and I both toyed with.


My first two years in the competition I  played
country/bluegrass/honky tonk medleys, including
songs like the "12th Street Rag," "Down Yonder,"
"The Wabash Cannonball," and "The Battle of New
Orleans."  Last year I did a Bluegrass Gospel medley
with "Mansion Over the Hilltop," "Will the Circle Be
Unbroken," "I Saw the Light," and others.

Records like this one were an inspiration
to me as I've built up a large repertoire
of these types of songs over the last
half century (plus).  I've been heavily 
influenced by the styles of Frankie Carle,
Eubie Blake, Eddie Duchin, and Floyd Cramer.

But this year I'm venturing into new territory.
I'll be playing a medley of less raucous songs
that are more popular with my listeners at the
hospital, rest homes, and occasional dinners.
Some that you'll recognize are "You Made Me
Love You," "Deep Purple," and "It Had to Be 
You." Still, I think I know my audience well 
enough to expect they'll enjoy what I've picked. 
 I may record the medley and post it later-- if
my computer cooperates.  But I'd be delighted
if any of you make your way to the far northern
reaches of Moore County Saturday evening to 
be entertained by me and many other music lovers.

Here are some simple directions if you know 
where Carthage, North Carolina is:
Leave Carthage going west on Hwy. 24-27 and 22.
A few miles west turn right when 22 separates,
going north toward Highfalls.  Proceed several
miles, then turn left on North Moore Road. (If
you come to the town of Highfalls you've missed
the turn.)  North Moore High School is another
several miles, but there are no more turns.

No comments: